Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior/Steephills?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior/Steephills?

Hi guys I have a lot of questions? I've never purchased a quad before. I'm considering the Yamaha Warrior.

Does a Warrior have the capability of ripping up steep hills? I'm looking for something that is relatively fast that I can also take on fairly rugged trails. Is a Warrior right for me?

Also I believe it is a 6 speed manual clutch, so what exactly does that mean? Do you pull the clutch in with your hand and then shift with your foot?

Thanks for all your help!!

Old 07-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I haven't climbed anything terribly steep (I'm new and not a small guy) but it's done fine for me, and that's with stock tires. Really has amazed me. But then I've seen someone get stuck 9/10 up a hill and he was smeller than me.

I would definately look at getting some better tires at least for the back.

It is a 6-speed manual. The clutch is your left hand and the gear shift is your left foot. 1 down, 5 up. Reverse is below the fuel tank on your right side (and it can be a pain. Pull up, pull back, push down [reverse]) and can be engaged from any gear.

I've been happy and surprised with my Warrior.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-24-2003, 11:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

ya the reverse is starting to **** me off but it's better than getting off my @ss to push it 3rd gear is proly la good gear to climb in i'd say i've climbed some about 70 degree hills jstu as long as u don't run outta gas

Old 07-25-2003, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

The Warrior will do good on steep hills, as long as the rider is in the right gear, and has a good amount of speed built up. I've seen some pretty small quads rip up some steep stuff, just make sure you don't stall going up, or try to shift when going to slow. Start on smaller, less steep hills, build your confidence, and then tackle the big ones. If you do stall, try to ease it down backwards, be careful with that rear brake, and remember, if it starts to go, bail, not worth the possible injury to try to stop it. I'm no Pro, just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Old 07-25-2003, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

Warrior is a great quad, i would just get some better back tires before you try anything to steep.

Old 07-25-2003, 12:41 AM
Trailblazer

The warrior is a great quad great hill climber for a medium size person 1st gear for short steep hills 2-3 for longer hill depends on the distance you have to build up speed adding an after market pipe will greatly improve your hill power.

Old 07-25-2003, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider

well i'm 14 and at 135 and i can make it up a fairly steep hill with a suzuki 160 (think its bored) but normal i ride a warrior or a blaster my blaster will pass the warrior if in the right gear up a hill but the warrior you can just go and not really worry about reaching the top.....

Old 07-25-2003, 04:04 AM
Pro Rider

Warrior is a "safe" hill climber. It has a heavy front end and not alot of power so its less likely to go over backwards. The only problems I can see is the lack of power will make the bigger ones difficult or impossible. If you dont have much experience though, you prolly wont be trying them anyway.

Old 07-25-2003, 04:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've seen some Warriors climb some pretty steep hills, but you'll want to get used to the clutch and stuff before you start hitting severly steep hills.

Old 07-25-2003, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

I've climbed some pretty steep hills. comparable in steepness to chokecherry hill (from some video I saw) just not as high .. perhaps only 40-50 feet. The key is having enough speed to carry you to the top cuz backing down a steep hill is NOT fun unless you're a total adrenaline junky!! At 33, my adrenaline junky days are gone!! Like someone said above .. good rear tires are key as well .. I haven't climbed with my new razr's on, only with my old bald dunlops .. so i'm sure that the difference will be phenominal when I hit the hills again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])

Oh .. I posted a new top speed today [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] 100.7km/h up from 94.5km/h. That's with the new tires on the rear [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

ttyl