Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor case cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor case cover

I ALWAYS wear riding boots, it's saved my you know what more times then i can count...... if you ride in the woods your STUPID if you don't have a pair, all the HUGE rocks you kick up that hit you in the shins and where ever else. Once you break them in you can move and do anything, plus it keeps the sand out of your feet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-27-2003, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

On the original question - I've looked around quite a bit and found dozens of 'case savers' and 'chain guards'. But they are all roughly the same size as the stocker and don't offer any better protection from sucking your baggy pant leg into it. (that's not what they are designed for)

On boots - I agree that they feel less comfortable and you lose some of the 'feel'. Especially when boots are new. But they do tend to save your bacon (including keeping your pantlegs out of the chain). The Pros wear them, freestylers - motocross - TT - look at all the riders in the magazines. They don't wear them just to look good.

But then, there are always people that ride in shorts, a t-shirt and no Helmet. Roll the dice and take their chances. These are the folks that keep the medic busy...

Old 07-27-2003, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

In the Aug issue of Dirt Wheels, they reviewed a pair of O'neill ATV boots. they're supposed to be more flexible than MX boots. Maybe this is what you should be looking at? Does anyone else here have a pair of these?

Old 07-27-2003, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

you should look at some sidi boots, they aren't just thick leather like most..they use more of a plastic verterbra setup..you have fantastic flex forward/back at the ankle but none or little side to side movement...they are easy to walk in right out of the box., and good protection where it matters..they have replaceable shields over your shins, etc.

http://www.motonation.com/item.asp?c...scid=31&pid=95

also, here is a good comparison study of offroad boots..

http://www.teamorthopedics.com/boots.html

Old 07-27-2003, 07:08 PM
Range Rover

Ugintel, I grew up trail riding motorcycles in the woods and never had a pair of riding boots. If that makes me stupid then I guess I am but not once can I recall a time where boots would have helped me out. I started riding ATVs about a year and a half ago and while the sand can be annoying in your shoes I haven't had a situation occur where boots would have been a benefit other than last weekend.

I'm still not convinced this is the answer for me but I'll check it out and see how they feel. Thanks for the info so far guys and skramblr I ALWAYS wear a helmet. Kinda like driving a car with the seatbelt on. I don't feel right without it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2003, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

Treeshot = FYI, my comment about the no hat, no shirt crowd was not in reference to you. I was just commenting on how varied opionions are on what passes for suitable riding attire. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2003, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

I always wear my riding boots except for that quick trip to the gravel pit which ended up to be a painfull trip to the hospital. I don't know, but maybe if I had been wearing them my foot wouldn't have gone under the back tire, but if I had been wearing them I know the damage would have been less. Now I have a couple screws in my ankle. Boots are like a helmet, you never need it til you don't wear it.

Old 07-31-2003, 02:33 AM
Range Rover

Aye, I know Skramblr. I was just making a comment on how, despite the fact that I don't wear boots, I always wear a helmet and don't feel right without one. I took no offense and I hope no one else did because of my reply. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2003, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

the stock pegs and levers are wack i think. when you add teh roll design pegs and the shifter you can actually wear boots with out it being uncomfortable. thats what i think is the set up to get in that case, instead of carrying a cast.

Old 07-31-2003, 03:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a pair of those Oneil ATV boots, only after running over my ankle though! I love them, they are pretty comfortable right out of the box, and the have tred like a hiking boot so you can walk around a bit with good traction. Plus they were on sale at a local place for $69, they list for $100+ They took a couple of rides to get used to, but now im just as good at missing shifts as I ever was!