Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

More Raptor owners give in to YFZ!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Raptor owners give in to YFZ!

I'll be giving-in in January....Raptor going to my wife...

Old 07-29-2003, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

I have raced one and it did not impress me,i hope it will someday..

Old 07-29-2003, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

The YZF 450 does come with alot of the modifications already done, but to say that it comes modified to its full potential is incorrect. If you read through the forums, you'll see many threads about what kinds of modifications you can do to them to add HP(cam adjustment,diffrent crank, piston,gears, airbox and pipe mod,etc.etc.). And they haven't been out too long, so who knows what the future holds. The price is steep, but for MX racers, it's pretty much race ready, instead of buying a stock quad and having to sink thousands more into it for it to be able to compete. I understand that many Raptor owners have put in blood, sweat, and years into thier machines to get them where they're at now, and the Raptor will continue to be a factor as long as the diehard fans continue to build them. Our local dealer just got a few 450's in.......looks like its time to sell a toy.........Jeep or Hot Rod- 65 Pontiac Tempest convertible? Hard decision!!!!!

Old 07-29-2003, 07:44 PM
rc3
Pro Rider

Well I was not real impressed with the first 450 I saw, don't get me wrong they are nice and they are somewhat fast, but I have a Yoshi, jet kit and K&N Filter and we were about dead even. And i know he is a 450 and I am a 660, but they are not all they are cracked up to be. I am sure they are on the track but I would rather have my Raptor in the sand. But they are decent bikes!!

Old 07-29-2003, 08:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rc3
they are somewhat fast, but I have a Yoshi, jet kit and K&N Filter and we were about dead even. And i know he is a 450 and I am a 660, but they are not all they are cracked up to be.
Sounds like the one you raced was all it was cracked up to be to me. You spent an extra $600 to get where your at and a 220cc smaller engine stock keeps right with you or
about dead even

Old 07-29-2003, 08:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Raptor03Rider, why don't you wait until next year models come out before commiting to a brand new quad.

And $7800 out the door...yeah right. You can keep that quad...I'll just pipe/jet my Raptor, and out run the little YFZ450.

Old 07-29-2003, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry guys I love my Raptor but a Piped and jetted Raptor will not beat one of these with just the baffle removed, rejetted no lid it will eaasily beat a piped and jetted Raptor. I have no problem beating piped Raptors and my buddy's YFZ was dead even with me all the way to top end. We drag raced several times on pavement, I posted the video, we swapped wins never more than a half lenth between us all the way through 5th gear. Top speed 76.9 YFZ 77.9 Raptor. And I even had 22" tires. If he had 22's he would have beat me on top also.

Nocando

Old 07-29-2003, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

I was thinking about doing that, waiting for next year models, but I really want that new YFZ. There is something about it that just strikes me. I guess I really don't need the new quad just yet. The only reason I was going to buy a new quad was cuz my wife was going to keep my Raptor, but since she is pregnant, I don't think she's gonna be doing any major riding for the next year. So I guess I can wait for the next years models. It's just that when I want something, I have to have it! No matter what! Know what I mean?

Old 07-29-2003, 10:55 PM
rc3
Pro Rider

WSHRDSKIN, well I am gonn stand by my comment, you ask someone that owns one and they say they will blow piped raptors away. and they do not do that! I spent 600 more dollars and probally is still less than the cost of a 450. Now here is the comparison of the one I raced, he could out launch me off the line and I would catch him mid to top. Yes is 210cc smaller bike hangs right in there and would blow me away on a motocross track. And they are good bikes so are the raptors. I give up, you cannot compare things without getting ridiculed. You guys act like it's Yamaha vs Honda.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Hey you guys, don't think I'm ******* the Raps. I've owned 3 of them not to mention CRF450 quad and 3 Z/KFX 400's; one 440 with 13:1 comp. And of course a wad of 400EX's. The new 450 is HOT! There is no way a stock OR PIPED Raptor can run with the YFZ even in a straight line! It takes stage 1 cam and higher compression just to keep up. Yamaha's 13:1 piston for the YFZ will require an even more modded Rap to hang. I know a lot of you Raptor guys with your big bore 686+ kits will pull on these little bitty 450's{ especially the Craycrafts} but stock for stock there is definately a new king out there. It's only a few hundred more than the Raptor retail. Way to go Yamaha!!!

Quick Reply: More Raptor owners give in to YFZ!