Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor 660r

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor 660r

I agree with most of the people in here.... A raptor is too much for you, not because of your age but beause of your lack of experiance. If it's your first quad you better start on something like a 300ex. I bought my DS650 when i was 14 but I had and have a lot of experiance in riding/racing so it was a great quad for me.

Old 08-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default raptor 660r

I started riding when I was 6 or 8, can't remember exactly. I'm 28 now. I just got a Raptor. The thing scares me.

A 12 y/o shouldn't get one as a first bike. I recommend the 300ex as a perfect "sport bike rider in training" ATV [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2003, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor 660r

All these guys are telling you the truth. Maturity has nothing to do with age. I'm 40+ and my first sport quad was a Raptor. I should have done like you and asked these guys which quad I should have started out on. Even with experience riding bikes all my life and racing MX, riding 3-wheelers and utility quads, getting on a Raptor was something I wasn't ready for. My first bad experience happened right in my driveway. I was going around the circle drive (dirt) when it was a little wet. I was doing a little sliding and the back end started to slide around. Instead of leaning my weight to the inside and controling the slide, I let off the gas sitting straight up on the seat. The Raptor stopped and spit me off the side and rolled over. I landed on and seperated my shoulder.
Do like these guys say and get the smaller quad and get some experience. It won't be long and you'll be giving advise instead of asking for it. You'll also be more respected by these guys with experience instead of being thought of as "just another crazy kid with a high powered quad".

Old 08-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor 660r

I would like to echo YFZn on commending you for the maturity you have shown with your posts. I am very impressed. I ride a 686 raptor and have a little brother who is 13 who recently graduated to a new Z400 from his old lakota. My recommendation would be this: if you one day plan to get a raptor (Awesome choice), start out with a four stroke now rather than a blaster or other two stroke. Getting used to the four-stroke powerband now will make your transition to a raptor smoother. Good luck bud.

~HoundDog

Old 08-01-2003, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor 660r

I'm with Kraw. I'm 30 and just now getting a raptor. I've been riding since I was 10. I have ridin my friends raptor and it scares me. It will be a whole new riding experience. Glad you came on here first to get to advice before going out and buying a raptor and tearing yourself up.

Old 08-01-2003, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor 660r

get a 300ex or warrior. I was and still am very mature for my age and i know for a fact if i had a raptor when i was 12 i woulda gotten hurt. no because i dont know my limits, but because my body wasnt strong enough to tame the power. even now at 17, i am thankful i do my pushups and such every morning because if you arent strong enough to ride it, it will ride you. So far, i have never crashed but im sure the day will come however i try to always remember how easy it is to get hurt when im whipping around a turn or flying over a jump. a warrior is a great quad. Its durable, and powerful but not too powerful that itll overtake you.

Dont Get a Raptor, i dont wanna sound like a dik, but if you do get it, you most likely will become anohther statistic in the emergency room and just make atv riding look even worse than it does. Lets try not to repeat the 80's. the industry is booming and these things are gettin more powerful but you cant push it. you have to slowly get your skills up to par.

Dont get me wrong tho, at 12 it is possible to be just as safe, if not more safe on a raptor thank a 30yr old adult. But for the most part, even if you and the 30yr old are first timers, he has a better chance of staying out of trouble cause of strength and size. Good luck on your decision and be safe when you do get your atv.

Old 08-01-2003, 02:30 PM
Range Rover
Default raptor 660r

Im 14 and I will probably be getting a Rappy soon. But I would say ditto to the 300ex idea maybe even a 400ex. I made a similar mistake when we bought my dirt bike. My YZ 80 first time out hits the powerband and wheelies straight up dragging me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. Now I'm used to my bike and its a lot of fun. Just be careful and have fun

Old 08-01-2003, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default raptor 660r

ok thanx for all the help and opinions guys, i think im gonna get a 300ex or a 400 and then later when i have more experience and strength i might sell my current quad at that time and put the money towards a raptor, thanx again

Old 08-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor 660r

Good thinking and very mature attitude!

Old 08-01-2003, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default raptor 660r

one last thing though, i suppose a yfz450 or a banshee is too much for me too?

Quick Reply: raptor 660r