Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ/Predator

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 06:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ/Predator

I've seen the YFZ's in action (as well as Predators) and they stay with and can even beat a piped Raptor in drags. Has any of the new YFZ owners had the chance to run with the Predators? I've seen Predators run with piped Raptors as well thus the inquiring minds want to know. It's been pretty quiet in Predator land.

Old 08-03-2003, 01:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default YFZ/Predator

Both my buddy and I have drag raced our yfz's against 8 or 9 predators.We've yet to be beat,but this is just a local drag racing circuit.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default YFZ/Predator

I havewnt seen a YFZ run yet but i have seen a predator race a banshee and the predator hung wth him till forth gear then the shee broke away by like 4-5 quad links

Old 08-03-2003, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ/Predator

Ive seen the yfz and the predator drag twice and the yfz won both times.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-03-2003, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default YFZ/Predator

I was up @ the Oregon Dunes @ the end of July and on an ride we all stopped and dragged up a dune. I wasn't on my YFZ, but my buddy had his on that ride. We raced up a dune and he beat a piped predator, but barely (1/2 length). On the same pass I was riding my daughters 250R and was beat by 2-3 lengths. It has a pipe, reeds, jetted w/o airt box lid. We didn't really race enough to get a real good feel, but from what I saw the YFZ really gets with the program. On the other rides with I had my YFZ, it seemed to hang pretty good with the rest of the groupl. The only thing I noticed was, on the real loose, pretty steep dunes it didn't seem to have as much poop as my Banshee, but it wasn't that bad. I guess I'll have to wait till Labor Day @ Pismo run mine some more. Im interested to race it against my Banshee as I didn't get to in Oregon.

Rude Dog

Old 08-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default YFZ/Predator

Hey guys, At the races last weekand on a 200ft sandy track a piped pred with a K&N filter and jet kit went up against a stock YFZ that wasn't even broken in yet and the pred won by like half a length. the preds come with razr tires while the YFZ comes with crappy dunlops and traction is very important when it comes to a short race like that. Better tires on the YFZ a pipe and an experienced rider the YFZ would have no problems with the preds. The YFZ rider was very unconsistant. He was beating piped Shees one run and then loosing to stock ones in a different class. And i don't know why they were running Four strokes in with the 2-strokes they should have been kept separate but thats another story.

Old 08-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ/Predator

Ridley, just what is it that intimidates you about the predator, so Rath lost a race, big deal he may win the next won. You are so hard on the predator, just remember if it wasnt for cannondale and polaris raising the bar yamaha wouldnt of even came out with the YZ this year probably. It is a great quad for the money and has high quality parts and proving to be very reliable and can compete so whats your deal. Have you even ever ridden a predator because it handles as good as anything and is very agile in the air. Sure doesnt feel heavy, great trail/gncc quad. I dont think polaris intended it to win on the mx tracks where the YZ was designed for. Polaris made it so riders ( not pro racers) could enjoy it, ( NOTE THE PRICE)

Old 08-06-2003, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ/Predator

My buddy raced a Piped Predator at the Dayton Pits in Maine he ran him on dirt and beat him pretty good the guy could not believe it saaid it was traction, then ran him on Pavement and had 5-6 lenths on him through 4 gears! He raced his YFZ with Baffle out and jetted and beat everything there and was about even with the Powervalved 350R that he traded wins with.

Nocando

Old 08-06-2003, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ/Predator

Me on my piped jetted filter and geared raptor, a 450 (baffle out and lid off), and a predator with the same mods as me were doing some racing at florence oregon. The 450 and I were trading wins throughout the whole day and the predator would be right there only like a bike or 2 behind. I was extrememly impressed with the 450s and the predator guys let me ride his and them seemed like a real nice bike too.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ/Predator

i've seen it go both ways,the yfz win some and the pred,it depended on who got through the gears quicker.If you put two experienced riders on both quads,the yfz should come out on top everytime.