Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Please Help, Raptor Cutting Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 11:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help, Raptor Cutting Out

Checked the floats per sixsixt's method of the clear tubing. Both carbs were off quite a bit, so I bent the tang with a curve and re-checked. Took a couple of times, but finally got the fuel level around an 1/8th of an inch above the mating line at the front of the carb. Its idling fine now but after holding it wide open and burping the throttle at 1/8th, it starts backfiring and cutting out. I have adjusted the valves recently. Would I need to raise or lower the needles after adjusting the floats? Any h elp is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-06-2003, 12:06 AM
Range Rover

Come on guys give me some help. I rode it today quite a bit, when i hit the throttle hard, it misses, stumbles then clears up. It backfires also when I let off the gas after WOT. Advice?

Old 08-06-2003, 02:43 PM
Range Rover

ttt

Old 08-06-2003, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

Your pilot jets are off. If your getting a bad pop on decel, and you get a dead spot at a quick stab of the throttle then I would be willing to bet your pilot jets are lean. If your getting a buuuhhh......waaaahhhh from stabbing the gas quickly its lean. If your just going .......buuuuhhhh... until it gets into the mid-range your rich. I have yet to find jetting to be an exact science. You just have to toy with it till you get it right. It sounds like your heading in the right direction with the floats, now I would focus on your pilot jets.

Old 08-06-2003, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

When you go WOT does the miss/stumble stay consistant or clears and then runs on.

If the stumble stays and does not clear first check to see if you have a kink in any of the fuel lines. Next check your air filter and make sure it is not dirty, then check the snorkle and make sure it is clear. Believe it or not I had a "Dirt Dobber" build a nest in my snorkle and cause mine to stumble and fart at WOT but would run fine at idle and mid throttle.

Maybe this will help maybe not but I thought I would give it a shot.

Old 08-07-2003, 04:54 AM
Range Rover

thanks for the info, i went out today and adjusted the floats again per what the manual said. turned the carbs upside down and measured them to 13mm. Put everything together and rode it. It wouldnt take any gas at all, just like it wasnt getting any,. I think my problem is the floats

Old 08-07-2003, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

On rare occasions I've heard of the internals of the float taking on fuel. It doesn't happen often, but it could be a possibility. Remove the floats from the carb., and give it a shake. If you hear fuel in there, thats bad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Other than that I'm out of ideas. Good luck.

Old 08-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In another thread I think you said it was running great then it started acting up. Adjust the floats back were you had them. Clean out the carbs real good and adjust your valves. Maybe put in 25 pilots while your there, but if it was running good before I don't think it's a problem with your jetting.

Old 08-07-2003, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

Somebody could make a MINT with a new float/needle valve arrangement for the Raptor! I can't believe all the threads that center (eventually:-) on float adjustment issues.

If your intake valves are adjusted too tight, it will cause some fuel management problems. Just one of them not sealing completely will throw the vacuum off. I experienced this when one of mine was on the edge of too tight, it didn't act up until the engine was completely warmed up.

Old 08-07-2003, 01:58 PM
Range Rover

The whole problem started with it bogging and backfiring when i would be giong uphill. I adjusted my valves after that with no change. I then concluded that it had to be the floats. I checked them with the clear tubing and the level was too high above the mating line. I adjusted them by bending the tang to where the fuel level was about 1/8th inch above the mating line on the center of the carbs. It ran fine uphill after that but cuts out when you shoot the gas to it for a second then clears up, like it wasnt getting the gas. I then adjusted the floats again to what the manual says, 13mm with the carbs turned upside down. Now it will hardly start and certainly wont run, like it has no gas at all. It was 3 days ago when i adjusted the valves. Im running 25 pilots already with 3 turns out on the screws. I also get a lot of popping and backfiring on decel. Needles on the third notch from the bottom. Should the 1/8th inch above the mating line be in the front or back of the carbs since they arent level?

Quick Reply: Please Help, Raptor Cutting Out