Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

all 686 owners how reliable have your bikes turned out to be

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 09:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all 686 owners how reliable have your bikes turned out to be

I have nothing against sparks, curtis is pretty cool. The fact he knock harry down a few more notches last year was priceless. You got think he was not 2 impressed with 727 on nos against his creations. I have looked hard at the sparks pipe (at glamis a vendor had one on the wall) but decided that my mbrp was still doing the job. Sparks design looked like it had influnces in design from graydon and ct. I wonder if the same pipe builder does sparks also?

Old 08-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

they got you too huh..

Old 08-05-2003, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

i only have a 102mm 11:1 piston-fmf power bomb header-fmf q muffler-pro design foam filter-mikuni mains 175-180 and a gytr heavy duty clutch and i have had zero problems with the motor so far.i know that i have what is considered a mild 686 without the cams and porting but i have ran against many raptors in a 300 foot uphill sand drag where i ride and there are very few that can beat me and the ones that do just get me by a small amount.when you factor in that i weigh 260 lbs that further shows that mine runs very well. i am not trying to tell you that i think i have one of the fastest raptors around here but i will say that if you properly set up your raptor with a mild build as far getting your(tires,gearing,proper jetting)set up correctly you can hang in there very close to the more extensive and expensive builds and still have great reliability.i ride probably 35 or 40 weekends at the dunes around here so i put my raptor through a lot and it still is running just as when i first had it built.i hope this information helps you but most will probably tell you that you need the cams and porting to have a strong runner but i can say that i am very pleased with the way mine runs and it also has one of the few legal exhaust systems on a built raptor that i have seen.if you decide to go with a mild build like mine i would be happy to answer any questions about it that you have. i have considered having my raptor ported and set up with a cam but i cant seem to make myself mess with a motor that runs so well so for now i will leave it as it is but when the motor gets tired who knows.

Old 08-06-2003, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

duneittilludie, I know exactly what you're saying about having the tune down perfect. My Raptor has a 12 tooth sprocket, and stage two jet kit (cut out intake flaps), that's it. But it pulls steadily away from some piped and jetted (incorrectly, I assume) raptors on the oval track.

I think I'd just send mine off to Trinity and spend the bucks to be sure everything was done right, then tune it on the dyno here at home.

Old 08-06-2003, 12:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider

raptor03, lol you trying to stir the pot tonight??

Old 08-06-2003, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

I tried alot of pipes and am very happy with the X-6 it KILLS the LITTLE Yoshi HANDS DOWN!!!!! hahaha
The only other pipe system i would have liked to try was the MBRP full bore!
Mark, Havey can run what ever other pipe he wants he selling his Alba for something else. He also ran my bike when it was just piped with a few of the other pipes and he knows the difference the Sparks made!

Pat

Old 08-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: HoundDog06
Mine has been just as reliable as its stock form. I have had a 686 for about six months now. A relatively short time but now problems so far.

~HoundDog
Considering how "reliable" they are stock. That isnt saying much.

Old 08-06-2003, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer

Got the full Sparks deal, with no problems, assembled myself. Stock rod, Fast and reliable, although I'm about to step up to the FCR's. I few people down under here wish they had brought the 37mm FCRs for their 686's, any one tried them out ??

Old 08-06-2003, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Mine has been great. No problems except for the ones that I brought on myself while learning..............

Old 08-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Trailblazer

14mins i know what you mean.lol
how far is craycraft from the kermit sand dunes

Quick Reply: all 686 owners how reliable have your bikes turned out to be