Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

all 686 owners how reliable have your bikes turned out to be

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 03:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all 686 owners how reliable have your bikes turned out to be

Originally posted by: bandit390
Considering how "reliable" they are stock. That isnt saying much.
Not sure what you mean. I have the dreaded "01" model and it has held together with alot more abuse than my wife's 400EX. Fouled alot less plugs trying to start in the cold too!

Old 08-06-2003, 03:45 AM
Range Rover

where do you guys get the parts online?

Old 08-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bandit390
Originally posted by: HoundDog06
Mine has been just as reliable as its stock form. I have had a 686 for about six months now. A relatively short time but now problems so far.

~HoundDog
Considering how "reliable" they are stock. That isnt saying much.

Mine was trouble free as well for two and 1/2 years of service in piped condition. No broken tranny's(I currently have 02 gears in it, just in case) or one-way's(in fact it looked great while building my 727, so I put it back in). I havn't had any problems with my 727 yet either. However it's only got about 6 hours on it so far.

Old 08-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Harv- Craycraft is 353 miles from kermitt, i am 355 miles from kermit. It is about time to play again. I am headed out there on the 25,26,27 of August. Little Sahara is 360 miles away from me and i am headed out there to throw sand on someone in this thread at DRW's. LOL

So how is going to be the fastest in New mexico??

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2003, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

Okay,

White347LX:

You asked what I run. I won't go into every little detail of what has been done to my bike. It spends about three days out of the week apart while I tweak on something. Mostly cosmetic or something ergonomic that I want moved an inch. Just can't leave things alone. I run a 102mm 11:1 JE lightened JE piston. Same thing these craycraft boys are useing (Bob got JE to send it straight from the factory to my place). I use a stage I webcam with dual rate springs and titanium valves. I use a custom built pipe that is made from the core of a GYTR exhaust coupled with a titanium shell (took me and two machinists to get right). I use a pro-flow adaptor with a k&N and my airbox is fitted with a bolt on outerwear allowing me to get the same flow as if I weren't running an airbox lid while still deflecting the sand. Head is ported and I used a K&N jet kit to fine tune the carbs.

I was blessed enough to get one of the "special" bikes. My raptor, when only piped and jetted, outran five 686's. I know this sounds impossible but it just does. I have no explanation for this. Several thousand bikes are made and only a few turn out to be something special. So far, my 686 has yet to be beat. I know there are plenty of bikes out there capable of smoking me, but around here, every raptor and banshee who has lined up has fallen. We go to great lengths to maintenance and tune our bikes. So far, I have had NO problems whatsoever. My reasoning for stopping with the mods I have is that we run alot of casual riding at the river and I wanted to be able to run 91 fuel.

As to Bandit390's comments,
I have seen you trying to stir up trouble elsewhere and I will not even grace your'e comment with an argument Honda boy.

~HoundDog

Old 08-06-2003, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

Mark of course you know that answer!!!!!!

Glad i'm not worry about sand being thrown on me or my boots finding its way HOME!!! FACT!!!!LMFAO!!!!

Old 08-06-2003, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HoundDog06

It spends about three days out of the week apart while I tweak on something.
Oh, you're one of *those* guys! lol That's cool, I know alot of drag racers like you who just can't leave something alone until they think it's perfect, then they'll try to make it even better. Thanks for the input, it's great to hear about people having success now with my future plans.

Old 08-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Pat- Do you think i was refering to you???????????????

GregV- I know what you mean!!

Old 08-07-2003, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

No Mark just talking out loud.

Harv
just build your bike you will be very happy with it stock bore or 686, let me know I'll help you as much as i can!

Pat

Old 08-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I will be sporting a new design t-shirt at DRW's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Harv- For the sake of compitition you better not let Pat port your head[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] sub consicely he may...........................

Quick Reply: all 686 owners how reliable have your bikes turned out to be