Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Please help me out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me out.

I adjusted my floats, and put everything back together right (I think). When I try to run it it starts but runs very fast, high idle. I checked to floats with the tube method and it was right. I adjusted my idle as low as it will go and it is still fast. I opened the top of the leftside carb to see if the choke was right. There is a big hole and a tiny hole where the choke cable is, the big hole is closed and I cannot see into the small one. The qaus is running VERY hot, Exaust is gets hot in a matter of seconds. I hope I am ,not ruining my quad. Please help me out.

Old 08-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Check for free play in your thumb throttle, it can sometimes get tight and casue high idle. Also, make sure you have gas, when I run out of gas it idle very high, then shuts off. Is your jetting correct? I think you have no gas in your floats bowls, are they too high or too low?

Old 08-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

No I checked the idle and with it all the way screwed in there is play in it, and I checked the fuel level with the tube method and it was correct. Why is it running so hot?

Old 08-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah make sure you have some free play in the throttle cable, you may have twisted it or it didn't go back the same way it was. They're a little tempermental sometimes.

You may need to richen the idle screws a bit to if you dropped the float level alot to get the level right.

Make sure one of your slides isn't sticking.

Check that you don't have any air leaks around the boots where the carbs mount.

Old 08-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

K, to make sure it wasn't my idle I disconnected the cable from the thumb lever for the gas. Then tried to run it. The idle was alot better , then I realized that the gas was off so I turned it on and then it ran really fast and then it got really hot again. What the heck is going on. I am getting so frustrated.

Old 08-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

by the way when it was running without the gas on it seemed to be throwing out alot more air out of the exaust than it did before I had this big mess.

Old 08-09-2003, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

If you are sure you have everthing installed correctly (triple check those carb boots!), and it's getting hot instantly with a high idle, your Air screws might be too tight as SixsixT suggested. Turn them out *at least 2.5* turns and then start the quad to see if things change.

Old 08-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

Where is the air screw?

Old 08-09-2003, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Air screw, air/fuel screw, idle circuit screw - all the same. It's at the bottom of the carb bowl and inside a recessed housing just in front of the overflow tube. With a tiny screw driver, you can adjust them with the cabs on the quad. If you tightened them down while you had the carb bowls off, there is your problem.

Old 08-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

There are 2 of them on each carb, for a total of 4?

Quick Reply: Please help me out.