Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2 stroke guru's, need a little advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke guru's, need a little advice

My shee is lean on the top end basically over-revving it and shee leans right out, doesnt back fire or pop at all though, my question is pretty vague so kind of bear with me if you can....

I'm running 280 mains, stock 25 pilots, airscrew 1/2 turn out, dyno-jet needle in 5th position (rich) comparable to stock needle in richest position.

Bottom end and mid-range are PERFECT right on the money, start it up idles fine, when its warm I pull the choke and it dies almost immediatley as it should unless its lean.

I have a tempature gauge and it's never gone over 140 degrees, it may be off by 10-20 degrees just because of the way its set up but still thats pretty dang cool for a shee.

I have a billet high-cap radiator, billet fast flow impeller, two 20 fin inline coolers, FMF gold series fatty pipes, power core II scilencers, snorkel is cut half-way, 6 uni-filter holes in the airbox lid, uni-filter airfilter, 1 3/4" cut off the rear of the airbox lid, temp is around 70 degrees and altitude is around 800 feet.

Fmf said to run 260 main jets, needle in stock position, airscrew in stock position (2 1/2 turns) and stock pilots. This is WAYYYYYYY too lean.

So basically my question is how do most of you ride your 2 strokes? I know the low & mid range are dialed right in mabe a little on the rich side, my main is 1-2 sizes too small, the way I ride is I'll open it up for a second or two at a time and let back off basically constantly blurping it, I shift UNDER the powerband and hold the throttle open till it catches up (letting the gas FFFLLLLLOOOWWW) I ride alot in 5th gear under the top end powerband basically bogging it right above the 'bog and stall' it range.
By the temp gauge it runs cool, this could be because of all my mods, the engine runs cool, the pipes are SMOKING hot but havent blued?! I mean you touch them and your skin sticks, but like I said they havent turned blue at all or even rainbowed near the cylinder, I know the top end is lean as the very tip of the plug (the part that the spark hits) will have a light white blistering on it when I do a plug chop WOT over-revving it, do a plug chop in the low or mid and it comes out light choclate.

Do you think its the way I ride that keeps it cool and not overheating/blowing up? By letting it load up and clear it out every once and a while? Or just think my main isnt off far at all?

Shee HAUUULLLLS through out the range, top end over-revving is like a monster or flicking a light switch it HAULS, but like I said I usually let it build up and let the gas flow till it catches up. Right now its a freakin animal as it builds up till you hit the top end then it clears out everything and runs like a raped ape wheelie in any gear in the top-end.

Think I should tear it apart again and slap a bigger main in or think I'll be all set because of the way I ride it? PLEASE only 2 stroke guru's that know what they are talking about reply to this.

Should I go up two sizes on the main, lean the needle up one or two notches, and get 27.5 pilots, w/airscrew 2 1/2 turns out?

Basically these are what I have for jets on hand= mains=200, 260, 270, 280, 340
I don't have any pilots.

I'm thinking I should run 300-310's, 27.5 pilots, airscrew 2 1/2 turns out? But basically don't want to wait for my stupid yammy dealer to get the jets I'd like to work with what I have on hand.

I tried with the airbox lid on and un-cut but nothing I could possibly do could clear the mid-range bog cuz shee was just plain sucking too much air for the lid to handle even with the holes.

Old 08-10-2003, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke guru's, need a little advice

Since you cut the rear of the airbox lid off you basically have an open airbox. You need to rejet to at least 300's. When you bump up the main you will have to drop the needle to keep it from being rich in the mid throttle levels. You might want to also bump up the pilots to 30's. This should get you close to where you need to be depending on tempature/altitude/mods you have.