Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1999 Yamaha Grizzly 600 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Yamaha Grizzly 600 Problems

Alright, I own a 1999 Yamaha Grizzly 600 as the topic said, lol, and has 1200 miles and it is making some peculiar noises.

One noise, is a "click" coming somewhere from the main part of the transmission, where I believe the clutches and belts are located. Here's how that sound works:

When both rear wheels hit a bump at the same time, I get a loud click coming from the transmission area; the main part, not the driveshafts or diffrentials. For instance, when I ride it back to the shop, I come off of a blacktop driveway onto gravel, and it is a minor 2 inch ledge or so. When both rear wheels hit the gravel, I get the click. When I ride in my grandpa's field, which has light plowing, and I go through some of the more rough areas, the I get the clicking sound when my rear wheels hit the divets.

Now, I can get that sound from running a few more "tests" too...I had the machine suspended in the air with a floor jack, and ran the machine at about 20-30 mph or so, and hit the footbrake. I'd get a rapid clicking sound until the tires came to a complete stop. Another thing I tried; when the machine is in gear, be it High, Low, or Reverse, 4WD or not, and I kinda jump up and down on the runningboards, I get the clicking sounds each time I come down. If it's in Neutral, all is well. The last "test" I tried was a brake one. I'd run the machine at an extremely slow speed at about 5 mph or so, and would slam the footbrake as hard as possible; the machine stopped on the dime, lol. I'd get a loud CLICK from the tranny area again.

We brought the machine to the dealer for it's yearly inspection, and the morons didn't inspect the tranmission (V-Belt and stuff) like the manual said AND that we even requested it.

My dad thinks it could be the linkage, that's all he could come up with.

This machine is not beat up at all, it's in perfect condition. There is even minimal tread wear with the origional tires yet. The only "hard" work the machine has done was going through some deep water that has gotten into the tranny breather (I couldn't move for awhile, so I ran the engine low and it came back to life and I haven't had any problems after that, that was 600 miles ago anyway), and pulling an empty 2-place snowmobile trailer to the shop from the woods.

Any ideas how or why this is happening?

Thanks