Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ owner not impressed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ owner not impressed!

Originally posted by: STAKK
I've said it to several people, anyone who buy's this bike to trail ride will be dissappointed, it's a race bike for a mx track or competetion, not for sport trail riding......That's my opinion.......

Anyone? I've never raced a day in my life. I love mine.......

Old 08-12-2003, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

LoadToad: I feel the same way. It rides damn good on all the trails and sand i ride. wouldnt go back to the 400 for anything.

Old 08-12-2003, 04:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i'm 6'2" 195 pounds. and when i first sat on my yfz it felt a little cramped as well. all it took was a small adjustemnt to move the handlebars up a little and those was room for two.
the machine is awesome bar none. i wouldn't trail ride it all day thats for sure. it is race bred.it feels just like my mx bikes . i myself like the firm seat.
so it's all a matter of personal preference. don't knock a machine that you have never owner or ridden.or becuase you're just jealous that you don't have one.

Old 08-12-2003, 06:02 AM
Pro Rider

Take a look at the competative racing scene. Do you see any big guys? NO
If you are more than 100kg's, you are too big for the bike, and need a raptor.
Also you dont want to be too tall. Then I agree it wont be too comfortable....
although they have moved the front fenders forward for the taller rider.

Old 08-12-2003, 06:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If a guy doesn't like a bike he has owned or ridden, and formed an opinion that he didn't like it why does everybody on this board jump to the conclusion that the guy is jealous? If i liked a bike i rode i wouldn't be jealous i didn't own it, but feel fortunate to have the privelage to ride it.

The guy was totally cool about WHY he didn't like it, and gave some really good reasons why the bike didn't fit him. Doesn't make him jealous, makes him HONEST

Old 08-12-2003, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

that's the reason I didn't want one (besides lack of R), it is small and I would be cramped on it. The raptor is a perfect fit for my big ***

Old 08-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

I'm 6'1" and about 215...I felt fine on the YFZ, and I've been riding 250R's for the last 8 years or so....

Old 08-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

When i sat down on the YFZ i felt a lil weird on it. I felt like i was gonna go over the bars. I'm 6' 230 and tryin to decide on the YFZ and raptor but just am not sure yet even though i've never sat on the rappy. But i wont be gettin a quad till may so i got time to figure it out. What do you guys think? I'll be on trails, drags, and the track too. So give me your opinion

Old 08-12-2003, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

one thing that i noticed is the goofy handlebars, i know there stock and everything but if it really is suposed to fit into the race/sport quad catagory they should of put a little more effort into rider confort.

Old 08-12-2003, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

If you weigh over 230 lbs don't get the YFZ. My manual specifically states that max load is 230lbs on this bike.

Also, being 5'10" tall and 180 lbs, Ive found the ergonomics fit me just fine.

The YFZ has a longer wheelbase then the Raptor and overall length is a bit longer. It is also wider than the Raptor. For taller riders you need to put +1 handlebar riser on it with a high rise bar.

I've also trail rode mine for 5 to 7 hours a day, 3 tanks of fuel, and the hard seat did not bother me at all. Of course if you spend all your time riding while seated you may feel that this seat is uncomfortable. This can easily be remedied by an upholstery shop and some additional padding with a new seat cover.
The shocks from the factory come preset in the middle of the adjustment range for rebound and damping.. quickly adjusting them to the softest settings makes a huge difference in the ride,, in fact so significant that I would even ride it on the softest settings.

Quick Reply: YFZ owner not impressed!