Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ owner not impressed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ owner not impressed!

Originally posted by: Lockemn
When i sat down on the YFZ i felt a lil weird on it. I felt like i was gonna go over the bars. I'm 6' 230 and tryin to decide on the YFZ and raptor but just am not sure yet even though i've never sat on the rappy. But i wont be gettin a quad till may so i got time to figure it out. What do you guys think? I'll be on trails, drags, and the track too. So give me your opinion
At first going from the DS650 to the YFZ450 it felt small and cramped the after riding it for the first hour it felt a lot better. I was doing MX on the DS and was getting beat really bad in the corners those 250r would get me.
Sunday was my first race on the 450 I did much better 1st was a 450 2nd was a 250r and then I go 3rd. I don't have much experience at MX but I did way better then what I was doing on the DS. (That was my 3rd race ever) I am the same 6' 230

As for the Raptor and the 450 it really depends on what YOU want to do with the bike. If trails the Raptor is great in stock form(it has Reverse). Drags I would say that the will be a lot of after market to keep the nose down on the Raptor(like a +4 Swing arm). That is why its good for woods turns great and the front comes up with ease.
If you want to MX the 450 is it. The Raptor can't touch the 450 in stock form. If the Raptor has the +2 a-arms the +2 shocks the +4 axle and a +1 swing arm then It should be able keep up with the 450.

This is only my opinion I am sure that there are others that disagree.

Old 08-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BUDXXX
I met a guy at Hollister Hills OHVA this last weekend, and he had bought a YFZ-450 for one of his kids.

I asked him how he liked it, and he said, "I dunno" and shrugged his shoulders. I asked him why and he said, first he was the 4x4 utility quad kind of guy and didn't like the seat, said his knees were too high, and the bars too low. Now this was a big guy, guessing about 250 lbs 6 ft or better, so yeah, I could see that.... And he said it goes fast and has lots of power, but really sort of acted like he didn't like it....?

He let his buddy, who was riding a DR650 check it out, and when he came back from the track he said, Seats too low, bars too low and the whole thing was really squatty,( is that a word?). But it hauls A$$. Now this guy was a big guy too....

And I looked at it real hard, and I gotta tell you, I think it's a really low to the ground, smallish bike... If your a big guy, like me, I don't think your gonna like it..... Yeah OK it flies, so does a Raptor, DS 650, etc...

So what I think, is if your a big guy, the YFZ ain't for you, but it's all in the individuals taste, isn't it...?

And if Honda comes out with a 450 classs bike, that has better ergonomics, and the power too, it could be a better choice, if it's big enough for the big guys.... I'd really be interested to see Suzuki/Kawasaki, and Honda come out with 650-750 class quads, built for the fat boys..... That might be really interesting.....

Makes me glad I bought the Raptor instead of waiting for the YFZ 450, I wonder now about that rumored Honda, will it be a small bike?? The Suzuki z-400 has plenty of room and power, and I really, really like riding it, and now that I've seen the ergonomics on the YFZ appreciate the Z even more...

More later!

The selling point of the Raptor to me was the fit. I am 6' 215#s and test drove the Warrior, Banshee, & 400ex. The Raptor fit me the best and I did not feel like I was riding a power wheel. Granted I have not sat on a 450 yet, is was not an option when I was purchasing.

I never test rode a Bomb back then but I did sit on one. With reverse I would have really considered it. I just liked the front fenders on it for some reason.

Old 08-12-2003, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

I am 6'4" at 290lbs. I road 250r4life's, I love it. I am going to buy one for my wife, he.. he..

Old 08-13-2003, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

yeah, i think i'd be too big for a yz, and my raptor is very impressive for all around....ive never took it to dunes but ive heard thats where their money shot is