Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

shee or ex

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 03:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shee or ex

hi, I'm buying a new quad soon, and I can get a 400ex for about the same price as a banshee in good shape were I live, so I was wondering what is the difference on stock quads.
What are the top speeds?
By how much will the banshee beat the 400ex on a 1/4 mile race?
Is the banshee REALLY loud compared to the 4 stroke 400ex?
And if u know some other differences, like wish has a stronger frame or whatever, than plz tell me. Any info will help.

Old 08-13-2003, 04:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default shee or ex

I'm not sure by how much the banshee will beat the 400ex in the 1/4 mile but its not gonna be pretty. A banshee with the stock exhaust isn't very loud at all... As far as the frame goes i wouldn't worry about either unless your a fat guy wanting to ride MX... But if you really are wanting to do MX over everything else the EX would be your best choice....

Old 08-13-2003, 05:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default shee or ex

Banshee has a great engine, 400ex suposedly has great handling. You pick.
Banshee runs ~mid 70s, ex prolly peaks mid to high 60s. Not real sure on that, been a long time since ive seen a test on em. Top speed isint too important, it can be changed with a 12 dollar sprocket. The banshee definetely has more engine though and can be modified to be scarey fast for the amount of money it would take to get a 400ex to keep up with stocker.

Old 08-13-2003, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default shee or ex

A Banshee will kill a 400ex in a drag race as long as it hooks up, otherwise the EX may get a jump on it, but not for long.

Like 660patriot said, a Banshee with stock pipes isn't loud at all. A 400ex with a stock exhaust isn't loud either. From my experience a piped EX is louder than a piped Banshee though.

Top speeds are as Jakal said.

When it comes to handling and suspension in most situations the EX is better, but if you are just into jumps you find on the trail and things like that both are good.

Also for me both are great quads, but my choice would change depending on the riding conditions.

For riding on a track, or putting around the house I would pick the EX. I'd also choose the EX for fast trails, that don't have extreme conditions (deep mud, big rocks/hills, slow going). I actually prefer the Banshee on the extreme trails. The EX hooks up really good and has a short wheelbase so you have to watch it in certain situations. With the Banshee you can just hammer it and go and the front end typically stays down. A flaw with the Banshee is that it lacks low end, and that can be a pain sometimes, but you get used to it and it's normally not a big problem.

I wish I could explain more about the trail thing because what I wrote can be interpereted a few ways. Basically what I'm saying that I prefer the Banshee on most trails we have around here.

-Josh

Old 08-13-2003, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default shee or ex

if you really want to MX and you don't want to put money into suspension get the ex
but you will have to put money into the motor that way........(to be competitive)
I know 440ex's that are pretty tuff........but that is a good bit of money

I think I would go with the shee
a little money in the motor and it will be raw!
and some on the suspension and it will be awesome for MX

Old 08-13-2003, 04:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default shee or ex

I gotta a shee, and it does pretty good on most trails where you can keep the throttle open. Banshee's really are thrill rides, and can be made wicked fast, where a EX the same amount of money probably wouldn't be close to wicked fast. As for riding MX, it's kinda a trade off, if you get a EX, you'll have to put a bit of money into the motor, if you get a shee' you'll put a bit of money into the suspension!