Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

which paddle tires should i get? i am looking at 4 different tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 03:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which paddle tires should i get? i am looking at 4 different tires

these will be going on my 03 ds 650 BAJA (i have a yammy warrior as well but dont know if the tires will be able to swap?)

i have narrowed it down to 4 diferent options

the GBC paddle master (straight paddles)
i can get these in 20x11x10 mounted on douglas .190s for $180.00
PADDLE MASTERS

the GBC Sand devil (8 straight paddles)
20x11x10 mounted on douglas .190s for $150.00
SAND DEVILS

the GBC sand sharks (a V blade paddle)
20x11x10 mounted on douglas .190s for $160.00
SAND SHARK

Kenda Geckos (small v blades) [ive seen a LOT of ppl using these, but a lot of ppl say they are bad?]
21x11x10 mounted on douglas .190s for $150.00
GECKOS

i want a paddle that will give me good traction, good durability (wont break easily for any parking lot [gravel/asphalt] driving i have to do)
and i dont know how much traction you lose with a v paddle, but it would also be nice to be able to slide/turn well

so what do you guys think i should get?

i have to decide in like 2 days so let me know what your opinions are (and let me know if you have experience with any of these 4 tires)

thanks

Old 08-13-2003, 03:48 AM
Pro Rider

i just checked the links, but they dont go directly to the tires! argh.....if you have an interest in the tires design you could just search for them... (sorry about that!)

also...

what rim thickness should i get? i know most duners tend to go for the lightweight .125's....

but im a big guy...on a big quad..... should i go with .190s or .160s? (it would save about 15 bucks by going with .160s, and im not sure what the weight savings would be, but is it worth it?)

Old 08-13-2003, 08:23 PM
Range Rover

Im sure you will notice a difference in the sand no matter which paddles you go with. My main question is why dont you have a Skat Trak paddles in your choices? Are they too expensive? I have Skat Trak Extremes (Kevlar Re-inforced) that are straight paddles the hook up with amazing traction in the sand. I purchased them in the winter, and rode around in my field in my backyard with them for a few weeks thinking i wouold get better traction in the snow with paddles. I didnt, BUT... I (like a dumba$$) would spin the tires on frozen ground and never seemed to faze the paddles. Skat Trak extremes are super durable and will alst through anything you put em on. Gravel, Cement (in the staging area) frozen ground, AND OH YES..... SAND.

If you overlooked Skat Trak I would highly consider putting them in your lineup, if not getting them. The haulers are the same as the extremes (paddle height) but arent kevlar re-inforced so wont last as long.

Good luck finding what right for you...

p.s. it is VERY ahrd to slide the rear end out with straight paddles (they are for shooting straight in a drag or shooting up a hill). V paddles will suit you great if you plan on whipping the rear end arond at the top of the hill or just playing around in a sand pit.

i paid almost 400 for my rear paddles/rims.... so i can see if those are out of the question.

Old 08-13-2003, 08:25 PM
Range Rover

p.s.s. if you are a big guy the lighter rims (.125, .160) may perform a little better, but if you are hitting jumps, you DEFINITLY want .190. even in sand, a big guy on a DS will put some wear on the rims.

good luck!

Old 08-14-2003, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

Here is my opinion -

Unless you are predominantly a hill shooter or drag racer, go with the V-paddle or the Gecko. I have the Geckos and they work great for all around duning, and they are very durable. I have done burn outs on gravel and pavement and all it did was wear a little rubber off the tops of the paddles. Try that with a Skat Trak and you will probably tear a paddle off Also, the Geckos have good top end because they don't "scoop" the sand adn throw up a big rooster tail behind your quad. For drag racing the Geckos work well, but the straight paddles work better, with the ultimate being the Skat Track triple buff or ultra buff.

My pick for you - Sand shark

As far as wheels go, I am 240lb with riding gear and I have taken a few decent jumps (never bottomed my Elka suspension) and have never bent or dinged my .125 rims in the sand, except when I got off onto some side trails and hit a softball sized rock right on the bead area of my tire. That put a little dent in the rim. I have hit many rocks and trees and ditches with my XC setup - ITP rolled bead rims - without a single dent. It just depends on what you want, speed or total durability.

My pick for you - Douglas .160 rims

One last thought - a 20" tire on an 8" rim will weigh less than a 20" tire on a 10" rim. Also, the 8 incher will have better forward bite, but will roll more in the corners. The 10 incher will have less forward bite, but will slide better in the corners. Good luck!! PM me with any further questions.

RR1

Old 08-14-2003, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

Have you ever wondered if the Hokey Pokey is really what it's all about?

Old 08-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

lol wtf jeff

anywho im thinking i want v paddles (is there really that much of a difference in straight line hook up between V's and straight hauler type paddles?)

i do like to drag, so if v's are going to put a big hurt on traction thats no good...

i dont think i want to spend over 220 or so on the set mounted on rims (i dont jump a whole lot but ill go with .190s just so i dont bust them up)

Old 08-14-2003, 10:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok, I see no one has given you an opinion on the Paddlemasters. DO NOT and I repeat, DO NOT buy the paddlemasters. They are junk, they are heavy and will rob power from you, you will never beat another Raptor again.

From your choices I'd get the Sand Sharks if you want to slide around or the sand Devils if you want more strait line traction and still play in the dunes. I don't know why people don't just go strait paddle anyway, I play all over the dunes with my Haulers, yes they don't break loose in turns well, but thats the breaks and you can get them to slide if you try hard enough. The Sand Devils might break free easier than the Haulers. I'd also get them on .160's not the .190's unless you are a major jumper. Weight is an issue, .190's are heavier than .160's. I've been running .125's for over a year, not a nick dent in them. Of course I don't get big air either and those with my Haulers these tires and wheels are feather light. If your stuck on a set of V paddles I'd try and get Sand Skate 2's best of both worlds imo.

PS. Check www.rockymountainatv.com for your tire package. Great prices.

Old 08-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

For instance at Rocky Mountain for the Baja you can get

20x10x10 8 paddle skat trak haulers for $208.00 mounted on douglas .160 wheels
20x11x9 8 paddle skat trak hauler for $219.99 mounted on douglas .160 wheels
20x11x10 8 paddle sand devils for $133.99 mounted on douglas .160 wheels
20x11x10 8 paddle sand shark for $143.99 mounted on douglas .160 wheels
20x11x10 8 paddle sand skate 2's for $229.99 mounted on douglas .160 wheels

Old 08-15-2003, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for the info raptor racer and wshrdskin or whatever that name is [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

i think im going to go with the itp sand star II's on probably .160's..... i actually dont jump a whole lot (then again ive only had the DS for 2 weeks, and ive only been duning ONCE...lol) so that may change....

but i think .160s shoudl hold up fine... (i did notice a big difference between my pure sport realtors mounted on .190s compared to my stock ds ohtsu tires/rims)