Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

replacing raptor clutch, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing raptor clutch, HELP!

Hey guys I've talked to some of you who have put aftermarket clutches in your raptors, and need to ask a question. When you put your new clutch in did you put the wire spacer(goes in front of the 2nd fiber plate in the stock clutch, they call it a cushion of some sort) back in when putting the aftermarket clutch in? I put it in mine when replacing the clutch, and now after spending all that time to swap it out the stinkin' thing will not engage all the way!!! When I put it in gear it rolls forward(with the clucth to the grip) like I don't even have it pulled in at all. Guys I'm no rookie here, I've replaced about 30 some clutches in dirtbikes so we can rule out just lack of experience. Does anyone have any knowledge, prior experiences to share with me? I'm going to pull it all back apart next week, and remove the wire spacer. Hopefully that will solve my problem. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-14-2003, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

i'm no mechanic.......but this is just a thought
did u try to adjust it at the clutch perch?

Old 08-14-2003, 07:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two of the fibers have a larger inside diameter, one goes with the cushion spring and the other next to the press. plate. Did you get those in the right spot? Is the lever at the clutch end at or near a 90 degree to the cable with the clutch pulled in?
The one I put in acted the same as yours and UBETRUN had the same experiense. After a little ride it seemed to be alright.

Old 08-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Yea I sure did. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I highly doubt its anything as far as adjustment wise. When I took it apart the plates had about an 1/8" of play between the back of the clutch boss, and the pressure plate. When I put that wire spacer(whatever they call it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) back in with the aftermarket clutch it had zero play in the plates between the two surfaces. I imagine thats it, I just wanted to talk to you guys since I see all the time about the different aftermarket clutches ya'll have put in your bikes.

Old 08-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sixsixT
Two of the fibers have a larger inside diameter, one goes with the cushion spring and the other next to the press. plate. Did you get those in the right spot? Is the lever at the clutch end at or near a 90 degree to the cable with the clutch pulled in?
The one I put in acted the same as yours and UBETRUN had the same experiense. After a little ride it seemed to be alright.
I also found the two with the larger inside diameter. They have little indentations in the fingers of the fiberplate right? I assumed those were oil inlets, and put those at the very front, and very back of the assembly. Should I have put that wire spacer between them?

Old 08-15-2003, 08:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The spring, or wire spacer, actualy fits inside of the fiber with the larger ID, I think I remeber that right.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2003, 08:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I had too remove the arm on the outside of the case and reinstall it at the correct location for my clutch too work right.

Old 08-15-2003, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
I had too remove the arm on the outside of the case and reinstall it at the correct location for my clutch too work right.
Yea I've replaced ALOT of clutches on my Yz125's, where I had to do that. So thankfully I was ahead of the game on that part. Thanks Garyc660R. Like others have said I believe I matched up the wire spacer with the wrong fiber plate. I just cant believe how much room that leaves the plates to slide around in the assembly. Never seen that much play before. I've got too much going on this weekend, but I'm gonna take her apart again next week and give it another try. Thanks very much guys!

Old 08-15-2003, 09:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Check out this site for a breakdown on how things go back together if you don't have a manual...pick here. Unhook reverse on that 01 Raptor too keep the tranny from grenading. Research my previous posts too read up. Later bud.

Old 03-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer

Let me know what you find, I have a similar problem with a WARRIOR.

The machine would creep forward with the clutch applied, and was difficult to shift because of it not being fully engaged.
I tore the clutch out and ordered another, but I am confused on why the problem occured in the first place. Those spacers are what grabbed my attention, so I would like to hear how it worked out for you.

Quick Reply: replacing raptor clutch, HELP!