Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'01 Raptor--what tranny part breaks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Raptor--what tranny part breaks?

How many hours on the Rap Shady?

Old 08-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

And by the way, Garyc, I have been meaning to ask you this for a long time. What in the hell is that picture above your name?

Old 08-15-2003, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

The 01 my wife rides is fairly low hours actually, and the 01 I'm looking at is practically a virgin. The front tire tread is nice and sharp and still has the little ******* sticking out the side.

Old 08-15-2003, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

I ride an average of 10 hours a week. I have had mine since september 2001. Thats two years times twelve months times four weeks times ten hours. That's roughly 1000+ hours on my raptor with a few weekends of major abuse on greater that 100 mi rides on the south canadian and several weekends at Little Sahara dunes in Waynoka, Oklahoma. I would say for every hour I ride, my bike gets put in reverse at least twice. Do the math on that one.

I run a 102mm lightened JE piston 11:1 compression with a stage one cam. If my tranny was going to crater, it would have already done so. There are several 01's out there that never will have a problem. I am sorry you got ahold of one that did, but don't give this guy the misconception that they are all going to crater.

~HoundDog

Old 08-15-2003, 12:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It's a mouse that is wearing a helmet too get the cheese out of the mouse trap without being hurt.....it reminded me of myself, so decided too use it.

Old 08-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

My 01's still going strong on orriginal gears. I found that when you shift into reverse, let the clutch out slow withought giving it any throttle. Mine hesitates between first and reverse but if I let the clutch out slow it will engage smoothly. I'm sure if I poped the clutch it would slam into reverse and probably bust. Also, make sure you are completely stopped before shifting into first from reverse. I know of 2 tranys that went out because the guys were stuck, one in mud and one in snow, and they were trying to rock themselvs out by shifting back and forth between first and reverse.

Buy the 01 Raptor, you won't regret it.

Old 08-15-2003, 01:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HoundDog06
I ride an average of 10 hours a week. I have had mine since september 2001. Thats two years times twelve months times four weeks times ten hours. That's roughly 1000+ hours on my raptor with a few weekends of major abuse on greater that 100 mi rides on the south canadian and several weekends at Little Sahara dunes in Waynoka, Oklahoma. I would say for every hour I ride, my bike gets put in reverse at least twice. Do the math on that one. I run a 102mm lightened JE piston 11:1 compression with a stage one cam. If my tranny was going to crater, it would have already done so. There are several 01's out there that never will have a problem. I am sorry you got ahold of one that did, but don't give this guy the misconception that they are all going to crater.~HoundDog
My opinion is all 01 Raptors that use reverse will fail. Everyone thinks they are the lucky one until the bottom end takes a crap. Personally, I am 31 now and have been riding for 26 years...I know how too shift and use recommended instructions on putting the machine in reverse. I have never had tranny problems until my 01 Raptor. I hope no-one gets hurt when their tranny does fail. Of course, you guys can take my opinion with a grain of salt if you want. IMO, Yamaha screwed every 01 Raptor owner. Read my previous link....reverse is the problem. Later gentlemen.

Old 08-15-2003, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

You guys are gettin' me all tingly inside. I might be takin' a run at Devil's Dune on a "new" Raptor on Labor Day. If I lunch it I will of course blame all of you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2003, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

Go right ahead. Lot of good it'll do ya [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

~HoundDog

Old 08-15-2003, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

The parts that let go are:

When replaced with 2001 components again they seem to go back out even quicker. But to upgrade you have to get the entire set of 2002 +

Good luck to all whos havent gone out, we have thrashed on yamaha and they dont even admit there was a problem. Its worth it just to ride and not try to think about it. I was actually relieved when mine finally went out cause I was sick of worrying. Now I ride the snot off this quad.

Quick Reply: '01 Raptor--what tranny part breaks?