Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'01 Raptor--what tranny part breaks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Raptor--what tranny part breaks?

I am considering an '01 Raptor that has almost no time on it for a very low price. Obviously many on here would tell me I'm nuts. But at least one guy I read of has been running a 686 on an 01 tranny. My question is, what part lets go in that trans? If I always start it in nuetral and minimize reverse use (doing it slowly so you can hear it fully engage) maybe I'd be safe? Wife's '01 has been fine, albeit stock. I will definitely be doing a stage 1 cam 11-1 set up in the future. The bright spot is, the price for this is enough less than an '02 to fund a tranny project & more if need be. Okay guys, tell me I'm stupid!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2003, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

Second gear usually craters on the 01, there were three dog ears and was bumped to four in later gear design. I have an 02 Rappy where third gear split in two and buggered up 1st, 4th, and 5th. Check out my home page for a pic of the split gear. Thin cross section
on this gear doesnt help. I know guys who havent had problems with the 01 tranny. If you like the quad, get it with the understanding you may loose a gearbox.

Old 08-15-2003, 11:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider

You are stupid!

Old 08-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Seriously though...here is some reading on the 01 Rap deal..pick here.

Old 08-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

I am still running an 01 686. Some have probs and some don't. As long as you know its a possiblity and are ready for the added cost, go for it. You'll love it.

~HoundDog

Old 08-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HoundDog06
I am still running an 01 686. Some have probs and some don't. As long as you know its a possiblity and are ready for the added cost, go for it. You'll love it.~HoundDog
There is the possibility of a dog getting into the cylinder and possibly lunching the entire engine....although it would be rare IMO.

Old 08-15-2003, 12:34 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I know this is like a broken record but garyc660r suggested that I stop using reverse so long ago that I can't even remember when it was suggested now. I didn't use reverse much do begin with so it was easy for me to stop and my 01 virgin Raptor is still running with no tear downs.

ChetRacer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2003, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

If you can get ahold of the paperwork, some dealers will allow you to buy the extended warranty at any time before its ending date. If that be the case, you could get the extended warranty which was offered for up to five years on the 01. That would put some issues to rest as to your worries with failing parts.

Oh, and I, along with the other 01 riders who hit the south canadian use reverse multiple times every ride as a neccessity. So I don't put much faith in the whole "reverse is the cause of the 01 problems" philosophy. I am not saying it is false, just that I haven't seen much evidence to support this theory.

~HoundDog

Old 08-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HoundDog06
If you can get ahold of the paperwork, some dealers will allow you to buy the extended warranty at any time before its ending date. If that be the case, you could get the extended warranty which was offered for up to five years on the 01. That would put some issues to rest as to your worries with failing parts. Oh, and I, along with the other 01 riders who hit the south canadian use reverse multiple times every ride as a neccessity. So I don't put much faith in the whole "reverse is the cause of the 01 problems" philosophy. I am not saying it is false, just that I haven't seen much evidence to support this theory.~HoundDog
Hounddog....on the reverse issue....I respect your opinion and am only trying too help out based on my experience....I have a # for a parts guy thats cheap when yours fails...LOL. Seriously, on the warranty.....the dealer can (and have) say it's rider abuse and you are out of luck even if you have an extended warranty. Many guys on this forum have ran into this. How many hours do you have on your Rap?

Old 08-15-2003, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies, guys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. On our 01, when using reverse, if you do it slowly and surely and let the clutch out slow you can hear it "click" all the way in. I do see people jump on one of these and just whack away at reverse then back into first and rip forward with reckless abandon. You hear it crack and clunk when they miss reverse engagement and they stomp up and down on the shifter while clutching it. I cringe. Some people can break anything, but most quads can take abuse like a Cuban welterweight.

Quick Reply: '01 Raptor--what tranny part breaks?