Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need Help Grooving Turf Tamers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 02:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Grooving Turf Tamers.

Hello,
I am going to try "grooving" a set of turf tamers. I ride in deep sand MX tracks and am looking for the best deep sand/mx tire. I am thinking of removing every other row of **** to open up the tread pattern. Does anyone have any advice on the best ways to grove the tire and maybe some input on tread patterns? Thank you, Frank R.

Old 08-18-2003, 04:56 AM
Pro Rider

You can buy a tire groover for about 40.00 to 50.00 dollars with the different size blades included. I beleive you can get them from Dennis Kirk. I have had grooved turf tamers like you are refering too and they will not hook the best that they can. If you groove the tire were the rows of ***** are off setting each other only removing a view ***** off of each row the tire will hook a lot harder. The bad thing about cutting every other row off is that you loose contact of the surface you are on because of the space in between rows getting less traction; if you offset them- ***** are making contact the full rotation of the tire. Turf tamers can be made into a very hard biting tire if grooved the right way; they are what I drag race with along with some ice screws. Another thing; you will loose about 5 to 6 pounds of ***** off a set of 20 inch turf tamers having a little less rotating mass along with the lightest set of twentys; lighter than any other knobby you can buy and they will hook. Hope this helps. Slim (Turf tamers do have to many ***** causing them to pack up and loose traction so removing some ***** helps big time)

Old 08-18-2003, 04:59 AM
Pro Rider

One more thing TRUTH; Get some white shoe polish and mark the ***** you want to cut off; this will give you a visual what the pattern will look like and keep you from making mistakes and cutting ***** off that you did'nt plan on cutting off. Slim

Old 08-19-2003, 12:16 AM
Trailblazer

Thank you very much Slim!!! I really appreciate the info..I have a set of Tamers that I am going to make my guinea pig..and if it doesn't turn out well, then I learned from it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I am setting them up for use in very loose sand, dune like sand, but on an mx track... A grooved set of tamers would have to be the lightest tire made! I like that.Do you have any pictures (as detailed as possible) of your tires? That would help me out greatly..and good tip on the shoe polish, I like that idea! If you want, you can email me at bow_soul@yahoo.com Thanks again for the help, Frank.

Old 08-19-2003, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Ridley, When I cut my 20 inch Turf Tamers I put the ***** in a clear plastic bag; stood on the scales with and without the ***** in hand three different times and there was a 5 lb. savings everytime I weighed. I cut a little less than half the ***** off with three ***** left in the center everyother row and left three ***** on each side of both sides of the tire the remaining rows. I have done this to several set of twenties and also several set of 18 inch Tamers. The 18 inch Tamers will save you about 21/2 pounds not 5 lb.s. Truth, when you cut the ***** off weigh them and see what you come up with. I dont have any way of posting any picks of the tires, sorry TRUTH. (THE SAVINGS ARE BASED ON ALL THE ***** REMOVED OFF BOTH TWENTIES TOGETHER IN ONE BAG WHICH EQUAL ABOUT 2 1/2 POUNDS OF ***** REMOVED FROM EACH TIRE) If i'm wrong I apologize; Its been a while since I had done this but I am almost certain this is what the ***** weighed but sometimes my mind can play tricks on me. Let us know or I may do it again sometime soon myself. Slim

Old 08-19-2003, 03:06 AM
Trailblazer

Hey guys,
Thanks again for the help! Ridley, the track I do most of my riding on is DEEP sand..like the sand you would find at a beach. It is loose and deep.. I ride mainly my banshee there, so you can imigine the immense amount of spin I get..I would just like to get a little better hook up so I'm not spinning so hard. I have a set of Tamers now that I am going to expieriment on..I have heard that Fast Trekkers (18-20 inch) in reverse work well in the sand. I have also talked to a guy who grooved a set of Pure Sport Realtors and ran them in reverse and got massive traction in the sand, but I don't want a 22 inch tire..I was told he lightened each tire by 8 pounds by removing the outside ***** and leaving just the "scoop" ***** in the middle. I will test out some grooving on the Tamers and go from there..What do you guys think of the Kenda Knarly for sand?