Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor engine assembly help, ASAP please

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor engine assembly help, ASAP please

I just got my head back from Craycraft and I need to know all the little details that will make or break this install. This is my first time putting an engine back together.

Any tips on commonly screwed up things to not do?
Do I use gasket sealant on my Cometic HP head gasket?
How do I put the gasket sealant on the valve cover without making a mess and getting it all over the cam or rockers?
What do I use to clean the carbon buildup off the top of the piston, or should I not worry about it?

Also, some of my 4 main cylinder bolts are corroded. Can I take them out and replace them with fresh bolts without having to replace my lower cylinder gasket?

Thanks for all the help guys and please feel free to thow in any tips that you know! With good luck and a little patience I hope to be up and running by tomorrow night.

RR1

Old 08-27-2003, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RaptorRacer1

Do I use gasket sealant on my Cometic HP head gasket?

How do I put the gasket sealant on the valve cover without making a mess and getting it all over the cam or rockers?

What do I use to clean the carbon buildup off the top of the piston, or should I not worry about it?

Also, some of my 4 main cylinder bolts are corroded. Can I take them out and replace them with fresh bolts without having to replace my lower cylinder gasket?

RR1
No

Use your finger, spread it even and thin on both mating surfaces, dont forget the spark plug hole.

Mist some water from a spray bottle in the intake while its running. Water mist cools the carbon so fast it flakes off the piston.

yes, so long as you dont pull the cylinder up. Even then it will probably be ok

And dont forget assembly lube on the cam, atleast puts some oil in the bath

Old 08-27-2003, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info, Warrior007!

Keep the tips coming. I always freak out and worry about screwing something up the first time I do something new on my quad. I was the same way the first time I took off my exhaust and put it back on and removed and replaced the rear axle. But with each new thing I learn some more and keep some more $$ in my wallet and out of the hands of the dealership's mechanic. Thanks guys!

RR1

Old 08-27-2003, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

if you have any problems call bob and he will be happy to walk you through the steps

Old 08-27-2003, 11:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use very little silicone on the rocker cover a tad more than just a film. I just put it on with my finger.

I torqued the head bolts to 30 ft.lbs. in increments of ten (10, 20, 30).

Soak the cover in some mineral spirits to loosen the silicone and clean it off with a scotchbright pad.

The cam if you got one should have recomendations for assembly lube, use it.

Back off on you valve adjusters before you install the rocker cover.

Make sure your timing chain is on the crank sprocket.

Check the pip mark on the decompression pin shaft, it shold be up when all the timing marks are aligned and move the weights out and check that the pin retracts after you have it installed.

Use the blue loctite on your cam gear bolts.

Loosen the oil bleed screw and crank the engine over with the spark plug out to prime the oil system.

Old 08-28-2003, 07:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Everything already said is good advice!

Nice tip on the carbon build up 007.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Make sure that the spring is out of the cam chain tensioner before you install everything, or it will be too tight. Use a new gasket on this if possible, they leak easy for some reason.

Old 08-28-2003, 08:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I have one concerning the timing. After setting the timing and the timing marks line up perfect, you install the cam chain tensioner (fully decompressed mind you....this has been the problem on some raps that grenade the timing chain IMO), add the spring and bolt too find out the timing has possibly backed up one tooth from tension on the chain.....and the Rap will not run. Just something too look out for!

Old 09-02-2003, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

RR1,
Did you get everything together? Let us know how it turns out!

Old 09-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: airraptor
all the above plus use a torque wrench for every bolt i know it doesnt sound like it helps but it does. you will notice guys that use a torque wrench and the ones that dont. the guys that dont use them have broken header bolts, have leaks and so on. follow the book and torque to specs. plus dont use the lower 20% of any torque wrench. if you have anymore q's about torque wrench's just ask i know enought to get the job done.
how tight are the header nuts supposed to be tightened down...........
I didn't know so I just put them a half turn past hand tight.....and I check them b4 and after every ride....
I would like to know the right tightness so I don't have to worry about them breaking.......

Old 09-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

so they are probably about right now..............
how much do you think a shop would charge to install my cam and springs/retainers.....teh guy that I get to do my work crashed his 250r and broke his collar bone.......now he won't get to touch my quad for about 2 months.........
what would be a reasonable price for this install?
also Will have have to buy another head gasket?

Quick Reply: Raptor engine assembly help, ASAP please