Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

First quad thinkin the bashee..

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First quad thinkin the bashee..

my friend is 13 about 130 punds and has never ridden a atv in his life he thinks he wants a banshee he wont listen to me that he would kill himself on so let me herre what the experts got to say bout this one

Old 08-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

tell him not to be a thick headed moron and go with something that he can ride, not something that will ride him....

Old 08-29-2003, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

hmm.... banshee and 13 year old..... NO! theres no way he can handle that power. no way in he!!. also, wheres he gonna ride it, trails or sand? (i dont know of much sand in PA.) i would definately go against a shee or anything remotely like it if its just for trails. its fast, (which is usually all that people who know nothing about the bikes think about) but its definately not for a beginner! tell him to stop trying to be macho thinkin he can handle it. i dont mean to offend your friend, i just want it to be made very clear that this is a very bad idea. depending on where youre riding and what the conditions are (muddy, twisty, etc.) i would probably say a 250 4 stroke sport ute. if he wants a sporty ride with the capabilities of a 250 ute, tell him to take a look at a honda 250ex. it might be a little lacking in power, but it will be really easy to ride and will do most things in trails that sportbikes like banshees wouldnt dream of doing, mainly cause it has a shaft drive so it wont get hung up on things. or if looks and a little suspension can be sacrificed, have a look at a 250 recon (same engine and chassis as the 250ex, but in a utility style with racks. its cheaper too. and it would be easier to find a used one. i used to have one and it was great, easy to ride cause it was a manual shift but an auto clutch, so you dont have to worry about shifting as much, and it had good power, and also kept up really well with my dads polaris magnum 4x4, even though its only a 2x4. its a good bike and really easy to learn on. hope this helps, and if this isnt what hes looking for, find out what hes gonna use it for and ill try suggesting something else.

also, it would help if i knew how much $ moolah $ hes willing to spend on a bike.

Old 08-29-2003, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

what quad do you have again? whatever it is, if its fast, let him ride it. he may have more fun on a sport 4x4 like the wolverine. it sounds perfect for him. a 300ex sounds good too.

when i was 13 i wanted a banshee too. and nobody was going to tell me that i couldnt handle the power. but when i got my kx100 a month later i couldnt believe the power (and then i modded it!) when the band kicked in i was usually on my *** or scared to ride it so i just put it away. now i want to stay away from banshees. i hate them. i want a wolverine, xr50, or a raptor ... or a cr250.. something like that. not a banshee lol

Old 08-29-2003, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: layke
i hate them. i want a wolverine, xr50, or a raptor ... or a cr250.. something like that. not a banshee lol
xr 50 i would think yuor a little small for that hahaha

Old 08-29-2003, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

dont determine how good a rider you are by age, i got my raptor when i was 13..and i crashed when i was 15, currently...age means nothing

Old 08-29-2003, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't start with a 2-stroke just because they are a little more finnicky to run, maintain and ride. I would start with a 300ex or a 350 warrior until he gets the characteristics of riding a sport atv and maintenance down. Then bump it up to something a little more racy.

Old 08-29-2003, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

one thing just because hes 13 dont mean he cant ride a banshee i rode a 2 stroke when i was 6 i can handle mostly anything u give me so age dont matter if ur willing to take a chance and ride in your limits get the biggest thing u can at least hold onto to.

Old 08-30-2003, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: motojustin4
one thing just because hes 13 dont mean he cant ride a banshee i rode a 2 stroke when i was 6 i can handle mostly anything u give me so age dont matter if ur willing to take a chance and ride in your limits get the biggest thing u can at least hold onto to.
for one, theres a lot of 2 strokes and im sure the one you rode when u were 6 didnt have a 350cc twin with banshee power. and two, thats great that you can handle anything, but youve been riding since you were 6 and you have a lot more experience. im sure you werent riding something near as powerful, and theres no way in he!! somebody who has never ridden a quad before in his life is ready for a banshee. it could be done, but it wouldnt be easy, and for the first 6 months or so, it wouldnt be fun, it would scare the cr@p outta him.

Old 08-30-2003, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JohnnySplat
Originally posted by: motojustin4
for one, theres a lot of 2 strokes and im sure the one you rode when u were 6 didnt have a 350cc twin with banshee power. and two, thats great that you can handle anything, but youve been riding since you were 6 and you have a lot more experience. im sure you werent riding something near as powerful, and theres no way in he!! somebody who has never ridden a quad before in his life is ready for a banshee. it could be done, but it wouldnt be easy, and for the first 6 months or so, it wouldnt be fun, it would scare the cr@p outta him.
if it scared the crap outta him he would learn to respect it........
if you respect the quad, I don't see anyreason that you couldn't ride anything that you want for your first bike.......just don't go out and try to show your azz at first.......take it easy and get used to it........

Quick Reply: First quad thinkin the bashee..