Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Piped YFZ vs Craycraft 686

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piped YFZ vs Craycraft 686

Had a chance to run a short drag against a piped, no airbox lid, jetted YFZ. I have a Craycraft ported and coated 12:1 686 with Hotcams 2, full Yoshi, and FCRs. I am geared 14/40 with 18" rear MX Holeshots, he was geared stock and I don't remember if he had aftermarket wheels/tires. The YFZ started on grass/hardpack and I was on hardpack/gravel. The distance was only about 200 feet. I launched in 2nd and he launched in 1st. I had a little too much tire spin and he put a quad length on me in no time flat. We stayed that way for a hundred feet and it took the next hundred to get 1/2 a quad length back. If we had another hundred feet, it would have been very close. On the short arena cross MX track, it appeared that he could out-accelerate anything when exiting turns. That little thing is quick, I was surprised.

Old 08-31-2003, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

Or your Craycraft rocketship aint what it is hopped up to be.

Old 08-31-2003, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

I hear you. I test rode one the other day. It got the old adrenaline pumping. Man that thing is quick!
The Raps dont stand a chance in a short drag. The power to weight ratio plus that quick reving motor
is awesome. Obviously in a longer drag, the rap will haul it in and win.
With all that torque, its also goin to be an awesome dune machine. Cant wait to try.

Old 08-31-2003, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

its also goin to be an awesome dune machine.
You gotta be kidding me!

Old 08-31-2003, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

Imback-wards, my Craycraft 686 is everything it's hopped up to be and I'm very happy with it. I can smoke bolt-on quads, not beat, SMOKE them like they stuck in 3rd. Until the YFZ yesterday, I hadn't found any quads in the same league as my Raptor. The YFZ is for real, it's going to take cubic money for any other quad to hang.

Keep up your nonsense and you'll end up on my list!

1. airraptor
2. blackballed
3. placeholder for imback

Old 08-31-2003, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

Keep up your nonsense and you'll end up on my list!
Lol...You know what kid i really think your funny...As far as your list goes i kinda think airraptor is cool and blackballed well thats a different story...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 08-31-2003, 07:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

He is serious, I just got home from Pismo late last night and I have some video of the YFZ's in action and they are for real. There were a few that were lightning fast over the other YFZ's. Some I could beat and some I couldn't beat. I lost to more than I beat. None of the YFZ's I saw and ran against had a rider that weighed more than 175lbs. I'm 250. It also didn't help that I have a small hole in the top of my piston either . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

I'll post the videos, after a while, today somtime. This would proabably be a good thread to do it in. I don't have any of me racing them though.

Old 08-31-2003, 07:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] A hole in your piston? Do you have the head off of it?

Old 08-31-2003, 07:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, Took it off today. Was gonna check the rings. Funny part was I didn't notice the little hole until I had the cylinder off to check the rings. When the rings were good, I started looking elsewhere. This isn't the first failure I've heard from JE pistons. Remember raptorRyan had a JE skirt come apart and destroy his cases. He was useing his for a couple years though not 3 weekends then 2 weeks in Montana (where the oil coming from the crank case breather was first noticed) and 1 pismo trip (where the oil from the crankcase breather tube became a problem).

Old 08-31-2003, 07:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think you were running lean at all or a deffective piston? Post some pics!

Quick Reply: Piped YFZ vs Craycraft 686