Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Does cutting slide springs really help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 11:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does cutting slide springs really help?

I have a newer Raptor and am looking to get the most power for the lowest price and I have been reading about cutting the slide springs. Does this really help, how much, and how many coils do you cut off? Another thing do you need to do any changes to your carb adjustments to achieve the best performance?

<u>MODS:</u>
White Bros e-series
KN with pro-design adapter
tabs cut out of snorkle
155/160 jets, 3 turns out on the pilot screw(I think that is making it a tad rich) I think im going to drop down to 2.5 turns out or maybe a little less.
I need to check float levels also.

Old 09-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Range Rover

bump...

Old 09-13-2003, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

I dont see how cutting the slide spring would add any power.

Old 09-14-2003, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

You don't actually cut the slide springs. The whole purpose for doing this mod is to make pushing the throttle in easier. What you need to do is take the spring out and grind/sand on one side of the spring so it weakens in that spot. If you grind off too much material the spring will not be able to push the slide back down when you release the throttle (can you say not a good thing?). If you don't like that idea happening to you why not change to a twist throttle.

Old 09-15-2003, 12:08 AM
Range Rover

I have read on here in the forums that its not for easier throttle. Its for more throttle response. I have read if you cut a coil off the springs it helps to reduce turbulence in the carberator, therefore increase power. I dont know how much of this is true that is why i posted it on here and it seems that no one wants to really respond.

Old 09-15-2003, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

Do you actually think that cutting a certain length off the slide spring will actually increase your power output? How does cutting this spring reduce turbulance inside of the carb body? Turbulance is what mixes the fuel in the incoming air charge. Maybe I should start posting else where.... this site is getting annoying.

Old 09-15-2003, 01:32 AM
Range Rover

Hey man, the question wasnt hey who can be the biggest d|ckhead. All I asked was a simple question and stated what I have read. Simply making sure that the others were either correct or incorrect and yes it can if the slides do no open enough because the spring length does not allow for it power could be sacrificed and I have read that if you rev the motor that you can watch the slides bounce so yeah if thats correct that might be to much turbulence. Another thing mr know it all they want for turbulence to happen on the intake ports until then the air flow should be clean to maximize flow into the head. Lastly there is no such thing as a stupid question so yeah go to another forum because I dont need people posting crap like you because they think they know everything when someone is really just looking for a little insight.

Old 09-15-2003, 02:57 AM
Range Rover

I remember that post talking about minimizing turbulence and better throttle response. Ive actually had a few people tell me that it helps, dont know how. I didnt do it, mine seems to run fine as is, with great throttle response.

Old 09-15-2003, 03:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

just makes the thumb throttle easier to push.

Old 09-15-2003, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

The springs in the slides of Raptor carbs have absolutely nothing to do with how hard or easy the throttle pulls .They are CV carbs which means vacumn lifts the slides.The tension is in the spring wrapped around the shaft that goes through both carbs that are attatched to the butterfly valves in the throats of the carbs.
Changing the spring rates by sanding the side springs or changing compression by cutting the spring will have an effect on performance,I just can't tell you what to do to make it better.
A dynojet kit comes with different slide springs.After installing the kit it seems to rev quicker.

Quick Reply: Does cutting slide springs really help?