Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just a bit of background...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a bit of background...

With all this YFZ hype, I wanted to express some of my thoughts...

As many of you know, I'm brand new to quads. I got into them really in an effort to get my wife riding in the sand. I was just fine on my CRF and had never ridden a quad in my life.

I got back from a dune trip in June/July (I forget which) and thought "you know, Steph could ride the sand on a quad... hmmm...". The next day I was at a track where the only other folks there just happed to be on Honda 400EXs with all the goods. I'm assuming they were 440s because these kids could ride and were kicking our a$$es.

The next day, I come into my office and get on Honda's web site. I'd seen the 400 many times but had a new interest and appreciation. It just so happened that that same day, Yamaha had just put pics/info on their website with respect to the YFZ. I called the yami dealer closest to my office and asked about it and they had never heard of it - surprise.

Well, I continued pursuing the 400 cause I like Honda's. Our bikes have treated us just right, so I figure be loyal to the brand that you know. The dealer was trying to sell me a yellow one for like $5100 OTD - very cheap. I can't tell you how many times I had the two of them on my monitor side-by-side. At that time, I had never even read or heard of an ATV forum, but I did know that the 400 could very easily be made into a 440. Doing so with some other mods would have put me at roughly the same entry price as the YFZ.

As you all know I chose the YFZ. Know why? I like how it looked versus the 400EX. I guess the dealer telling me it was built to kick any other stock quad in the pants helped, but remember, I was buying it for my wife not me, so "speed" wasn't really that big a deal.

Then the boss and I are at Sand Mountain and take her machine for a test ride and wow it's fun and quick and I caught a piped DRZ400 that had quite a lead and worked over a few Raptors. Weeeee! Then I rode it on some trails and realized there's more to quads than I understood. Next thing, I'm trading my beloved sportbike for a YFZ with some mods. Well, time passes, I find some ATV forums and here I am.

The point of this whole thing is that I don't want to appear as bully with big club that can beat anything up. I'm fortunate to have paid cash for the toys we have (I'm not rich, I just decided to get some toys and try living a little and shrunk the savings account). I guess I got lucky with the introduction of the YFZ and ended up with a machine that has opened a new door in off-the-shelf performance. Sure I race it up the sand hills, but I do it in fun (cept for the shees). I'm more than happy to let absolutely anyone (even complete strangers) ride it. Seeing the look on ShadyRascal's boy after running the thing the other day made me feel great - kinda like I'd done something nice for someone. When I went by Shady, I certainly didn't do it in the spirit of "look how fast my machine is". It was different than that. Although I should have given him more of a lead and made it a bigger challenge to catch him. The hill is about the only place I can excel... I can't wheelie, carve turns, etc. but running the YFZ WFO on a sand hill is easy - just lean back and push the button.

So when posts come up with respect to opinions on the YFZ or whatever, I'm always gonna answer them as objectively as possible from the perspective of a YFZ rider. I never intend any post to be "in your face" (cept for the shees) and hope that nothing I say is taken that way. I'm a pretty simple guy. I'll always give you the shirt off my back along with a straight answer - there's no time for BS.

blah blah blah blah... I'm done.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

selector

Old 09-16-2003, 01:53 PM
Range Rover

Well written! Thanks for your perspective on things.

Old 09-16-2003, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

You sound like a very nice guy, wish you could come to LS so we could ride some time.

Old 09-16-2003, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

eh hum...i'll take that shirt and a ride on your YFZ...thank you.

i'm a little more selective when it comes to letting people ride my machines. all my friends ride dirtbikes and street bikes. When i got my raptor...they had to ride it. i tried to explain that top speed was no- where near a street bike but the tourque was to be respected.

they did'nt listen..."i've ridden superbikes" ,"i've ridden 1000cc machines". i know what i'm doing. sure as S. a let 2 of my friend ride it...and one flipped it and another rolled it...and they're experienced riders. That was it. the end. no more rides. Quads are diffrent...alot of body english needed. i might have a diffrent attitude if this happened in the soft sand. but in trails...they could have seriously hurt themselves and i would have felt responsible.

not trying to prove a point here...jus adding my 2 cents.

Old 09-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Great post

Old 09-16-2003, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

Shady is old and has nothing to prove anymore.

He had almost as much fun watching the Selector go roaring by as Selector himself did.

Almost.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2003, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Nice post selector. Glad to know there are some more people around here that act above 12 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2003, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Wow,that selectors a really nice guy,and as for questions,I have one,when I pee it burns and chunks of skin fall off,is this normal??? ONLY JOKING,ONLY JOKING,sorry,lol.