Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just 11:1 piston?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just 11:1 piston?

Keep us up dated blackwidow. Us penny pinchers need to stay together. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2003, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Right on Bryan!!! I'll let you know

Old 09-17-2003, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

Bryan,

I can't attest to the piston without the cam issue, as I both at once. I was running a stage one cam with a 102 mm JE piston 11:1 without porting. Port N Polishing makes the bigger difference, but I got major improvements with my overbore, cam, and compression change. I was wondering if you are planning on going to a larger bore, or are you wanting to increase your compression with stock displacement?

~HoundDog

Old 09-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HoundDog06
Bryan,
I was wondering if you are planning on going to a larger bore, or are you wanting to increase your compression with stock displacement?

~HoundDog
I plan on keeping stock displacement Hounddog. This is not a high dollar hobby for me, just something to toy around with. The mods I do make are going to be here and there items. I may get the cam eventually, but I was looking for the best bang for my buck items to start off with. I knew the aftermarket exhaust was a given, and as others have stated I had heard that the cam didn't help really unless you put a higher compression piston in. So I figured I'd give those two options a try first, and if I had the money later on I would buy the cam as well. Also with the inherent problems I've heard of with the 01's I'm interested in staying away from the larger displacements, and massive cam alterations. It's really enough for me as it is, but I want a winter project, so I'm trying to decide what to spend my time doing aside from buffing, and polishing everything thing over the winter. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2003, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

No prob Bryan. Just curious.

As others have said, I would contact bob craycraft about the piston. He is custom ordering them from JE with the inner side of the skirt shaved for less weight. Might give you a little quicker rev. Then you could always come in later with a stage one cam. Best of luck and let us know how things go.

~HoundDog

Old 09-17-2003, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

As always thanks for everyones help and advice. I'll give a write up come next spring to let everyone know how it turned out. I know its much cooler to hear about the full blown, decked out 727's and 686's and all, but I know that the majority of us will probably not ever get that custom of a motor and are interested in how the individual parts add to the performance. It'll be fun to see how they each help out. O, and of course the headaches of jetting......that'll be a later question I'm sure. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Thanks again.

Old 09-17-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

FLYNBRYAN- I am running a 102 mm 11:1 piston and a header and pipe with a pro design air filter and with just these few mods i can keep up with or beat almost any four stroke that i run into with a few exceptions of course.if you go with just a stock bore 11:1 and a pipe the difference would be significant as compared to the stock motor and pipe.if you take the time to properly jet your raptor with just the piston and pipe you should be able to make a good showing against most other quads with more mods.one thing i learned is to not think that you have to run race fuel(high octane) because if your motor doesnt need it it will only make you lose performance.what i have found is that a lot of the guys with a lot of internal mods dont take the time to research what works well together so they end up with less power than a well tuned basic build but if you run into someone who knows how to tune and set up his quad then of course he will have the advantage.this is probably more than you wanted to know but i am not real good getting my point across in one or two lines.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Dune do you still have the 01' gears in your trans? I've got another thread going on guys that still have the 01' gears in. I'm curious to see if higher compression levels(ie: 11:1 piston, oversized cams etc.) are part of the culprit for the tranmissions going, since they're weak to begin with. If it seems common that the guys with higher compression ratio's and larger cams are have trans bombs I'm gonna stick with the 9:1 piston.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think that the piston or cam would have any direct impact on the trans......I would just think that adding more power period would make it easier for the trans to bomb......

Old 09-19-2003, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

FLYNBRYAN-i am running an 02 gear set which i had installed after hearing about all the tranny failures.i did not want to take a chance of a high speed lock up caused by a failed tranny so i spent the money and just looked at it as worth it to not have to worry about it every time i went out.