Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Tranny gone...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Tranny gone...need advice

Bummer to hear Kuz........and we just talking about it still holding out....... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 09-22-2003, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer

i talked to doug fortin yesterday at the sand show and they dropped the raptor tranny project.so for the long term you should go with 02' set up.

Old 09-22-2003, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

Awesome feedback....Gary, as usual, your advice is exactly the stuff i'm looking for. if anyone can think of obstacles they ran across that held up their progress...please share them with me. specail tool needed...anything you can think of. I really appreciate everyone taking the time. I know it can get tiresome seeing the same/common posts.

Please refrain from the sympathy...I'm actually excited to start this new project. and the Raptor has put endless smiles on my face over the last 3 years. flipped, rolled, raced, jumped...bent frame. it's been the best time of my life on this machine. No regrets. None.

Q. if i add the piston and Hotcam? who should i order through? is there anything else i'll need to mod/change (ie; carbs etc.) for this upgrade or is that it. will i need to run race-gas? rejet?

thanks again

having problems finding magnolia yamaha or magnolia tractor. are these the same place? anyone have there website address handy?

Old 09-22-2003, 05:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you wanna run premium pump gas, then the 10.75/1 JE (the only piston you want) is the ticket. If I were too buy the cam and piston tomorrow, I would check with Mark (14mins) or Bob Craycraft on price and availability. Moto-man has Hot Cams and they are cheap and goo too deal with. If you change both as I did, I would recommend upping your jetting 10 sizes.....ex 160/165 too 170/175 mains. Here is the thread that discusses Magnolia Tractor Supply....where I got my best price....pick here. You will need Yamabond or Hondabond for the cylinder head cover too. Six pack of your beverage of choice as well...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Old 09-26-2003, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Okay...thanks Gary.

spoke with Bob a Magnolia Tractor and ordered all parts. They are still the cheapest thankfully.

Broke quad down.

1)dismantled swingarm and cleaned: everything is ready to be polished, greased and resembled.

2) pulled engine: scrubbed with WD40 then simple green and finally rinsed and srubbed with Hot soapy water. all scrubbing was performed with a toothbrush. while i await the parts...i've hit all case bolts with penetrating fluid to assist in splitting the case

3)cleaned up Elka's and shipped back to Canada for service. i've asked them to extend the rear shocks reservoir line..so i can mount canister up front. this will increase the amount of oil the held for cooling and allow me better access for adjusting.

4)i've begun prepping the "new" chasis.

check out the pics when you get a chance...i'll keep updating with my progress. everyone, please continue to give feedback and advice.

Old 09-26-2003, 12:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Your definatley on the right track, It is a great feeling to TOTALLY dissassemble a quad, and then see it come back together, better than new, knowing all parts were touched by you,and everything is "right".

Just take your time,and have fun with it. double check everything!!!

Good luck.

Bigger.

Old 09-26-2003, 01:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You'll also need some kind of press to put one of the gears on, and take one of them off.

Keeping track of whats what, like Gary said, was the biggest thing for me.

Old 09-26-2003, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer

Ya you will need a press Craycrafts kit already has it installed on a new shaft for somewhere around four bills

Old 09-26-2003, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Magnolia tractor will hook you up with very good prices on the cam, piston, gaskets, tranny, etc...