Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why are people so concerned with top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are people so concerned with top speed?

Saying that top speed doesn’t matter on a quad is like saying that size doesn’t matter in a fight. You will change your tune when you mouth off to a guy twice your size and get knocked out or when you think your winning a long race because the other guy is a few quad lengths behind but when you hit top end he keeps on speeding up and blows by you.

“Bench racers” don’t realize that there are many factors that determine who will win a race. They may be wrong in thinking that top end is all they need to worry about but you are also wrong if you think it doesn’t matter. The only time 0-45 is all that matters is in a real short race or if all competing quads are really slow. In Fl there are even places in the woods where you could exceed 45mph if you have skills and/or ***** and a quad that can get there fast.

Even if your not going to top out, top end matters in many situations. For example I am going to re-gear my Quadzilla to go 80-85 even with low profile tires so that when my friends quads are topped out and screaming on wide open trails and dirt roads at 60-70 I will be cruising and not pushing mine to its limits.

Old 09-22-2003, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

At dunes top is pretty important when ur pineed in fifth for a while... but thats IT.. cause i dont think u wanna be flying at 80 on a tight trail -_-

Old 09-22-2003, 08:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I allways smile when I see those posts, you know it's some 12 year old asking the question like it matters.

Old 09-22-2003, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

Its ok with me so long as he doesnt ask if his quad has power bands.

Old 09-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

there are a few places where I ride where top speed is very important. When you are going down a dusty trail it is important to have top speed so you don't go blind with all of the dust that's getting kicked up. top speed is also an ego thing. it is always great to say that my quad is faster than yours.

Old 09-22-2003, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Lol tru

Old 09-22-2003, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

lol yup, your bike might get to its top speed faster but im still gonna pass you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-23-2003, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

lol yah top speed isn't really that important how you get there is more important imo

Old 09-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

Well I like running down long dirt roads at rediculous speeds. Just playing guys.

Its not so important in woods racing or mx but I like to have a decent amout of top end and not top out at 45 in 3 sec just because it gets there really fast. Where I ride i need it for long fireroads, but most of the time I dont hit it.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, but whats that top speed gonna do when I'm lapping you on a moto-x track where top speed doesn't mean anything and actual skill is required to win?? Thats why I wonder why people treat top speed like its as important as overall power and handling.

If ya'll want to jump down my throat and resort to name calling (who's the 12 year old again? pfff) for asking a legitimate question, fine. But next time you ask why people don't take atvers seriously, you have your answer. I wasn't trying to be a smart ***. Thanks to those of you who took the time to be mature and give an honest answer.

Quick Reply: Why are people so concerned with top speed?