Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Newbie with a Warrior needs some advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with a Warrior needs some advice

I just bought my first ATV (‘02 Warrior) and so far I have been very happy with it. However, I do have a few questions and I was hoping to tap the collective wisdom of this board for some advice.

1. I have noticed that the engine seems to generate a fair amount of what sounds like valve train noise. Is this common with the Warrior or is it something I should be concerned about? I had an XR250 that made a similar sound (normal valve train noise), but I do not remember it being quite this loud.

2. I have already determined that the stock rear tires are inadequate. I will use the bike primarily for casual trail riding (but I still like to cut loose once in awhile), and the terrains I ride in consist mostly of sand, dirt and mud, with an occasional dose of red clay. While I did not get this machine for its prowess in mud, I do have to cross some pretty nasty mud holes at times.

Based on the above information, I am interested in hearing some recommendations on replacement rear tires. Additionally, I would also like to know what the maximum recommended size is, as I am interested in increasing the ground clearance. Lastly, is there any benefit in changing the front tires or should I just keep the stock ones until they wear out.

3. Has anyone put racks on their Warrior and how do they look/function? I am considering this because I would like to be able to use it for camping and I need some place to tie on my gear.

Your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

I owned a 99 Warrior. Regarding the valve train noise, I would get the valves adjusted, this is a maintenance issue anyways. I do not recall a bunch of valve train noise. I still ride with the guy who owns it and to this day its not a rattler. Make sure you have enough oil.

Regarding rear tiires, I liked the 22 inch Holeshots, 6 ply. They hook up much better than stock and I believe are are larger diameter than stockers. Arent the stock 20 rear tires 20 inch? Cant remember for sure. I wore out the fronts until I had to replace them.

Havent seen a Warrior with racks, I only had a six pack rack so I never hauled anything bigger than a 12 oz can with me.

Get rid of that stock airfilter set up. The Pro Design filter with mainfold is 100% better than stock. Drill out the airbox lid for increased airflow. A pipe on the warrior is also a worthwhile investment. I put on the FMF Megamax, rejetted, and that helped. An alien header with silencer is a good complete system if you have the bucks for that.

Have fun. The only big problem I had with the warrior was hitting a sand wash hard and split the frame in about 5 places. Got it welded and touched up and hadnt had problems until I gave it away.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Range Rover

Check to see if the chain needs adjusting. The chain loosen up on my Warrior and was rolling on the chain rollers and made an god awful noise when standing or riding behind it. Maybe that's what you think is the valve train.

Old 09-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

Make sure you put alot of hours on your bike then take it to the dealer to adjust your valves. you'll shouldn't have to adjust your valves again for a long time. as far as rear tires there are many choices, I have 20" bandits and 20" trail claws, the trail claws handle alot better and go thru mud very well but they are only 2 ply. when you buy new tires you might as well buy them mounted on some new rims so you have your stockers as spares + it's a pain to change tires. I would definetly recommend getting a rear swingarm skid plate, it seems to help when going thru ruts and mud. as far as racks I think wolverine racks will fit on a warrior, you'll fust have to put a few holes thru your plastic.

Old 09-23-2003, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

For tires I've heard alot of good things about PureSport Realtors. They look like they'd be really good for sand and mud etc but are very wide (12.5" I think for 22" rears) anyone know if they'll fit on a stock Warrior rear rim?

-Marc

Old 09-23-2003, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: REVOLVER
For tires I've heard alot of good things about PureSport Realtors. They look like they'd be really good for sand and mud etc but are very wide (12.5" I think for 22" rears) anyone know if they'll fit on a stock Warrior rear rim?

-Marc
I used to use the 22x12x9 Realtors on my Warrior, mounted on Douglas alum rims (and used 22" Dunlop AT fronts). The combo worked great over the stock balloon-treads in the loose dirt, mud, and in rough terrain. The 22" holeshots would also be a good set-up if you are going to see less mud.

I also race-cut the fenders (those two piece front fender's bothered me), put on a K&N, opened the airbox, jetted and had an aftermarket full pipe (If I recall, SuperTrapp), removed the spark arrestor and discs (it was loud as he!!, but good power). added a few other aluminum do-dads and removed as much extra plastic and metal to reduce weight as possible. It was quite a bit faster over stock Warriors, and killed piped/jetted 300 EX's in drags. I didn't have racks. I also noticed some chain roller noise - check that out as was suggested here.