Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

If you had the $

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you had the $

If you could do a 686/727 would you? Or.....keep stock ( except for piped and jetted and air box mod).

I'm worried about the reliabilty if I have it done.

Old 09-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default If you had the $

If you don't have the money to keep adding stuff to them and to fix things when they break, don't do either one of them. If I'd have only listened to my own advice.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 09-22-2003, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default If you had the $

If I had the $...I wouldn't be working in BFE,Wherever...I'd be riding.

David...you're gonna have to quit beatting that dead horse! Everytime I read one of your posts I think back to how happy I was in the bolt on class! Frickenfrack!!! Thanks, buddy.

Jim

Old 09-23-2003, 11:58 AM
Range Rover
Default If you had the $

I have the money but I dont want to waste it. I know there are alot of 686's and 727's out there. Are you all happy you did it, dont have many problems? Or, should have stayed stock except for the few mods I mentioned. And If you are glad do you think a 686 or 727/730 is better or is there much difference (and the reliability issue)?

Really need the input

Old 09-23-2003, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default If you had the $

I love my 686 (see my page for details) and have had NO problems out of it.

However, the question comes down to what you feel you need to accomplish the riding you want to engage in. I am an all around rider with emphasis on dunes and trails. Many of the guys on here prefer to drag race or mx. They would probably not be happy with my setup. You need to figure out what your needs are before severely modifying your bike. Be aware that the more drastic the mods, the more you are messing with your reliability and yes wshrdskin, you must think of the parts you might break. However, if your riding style demands more bike as so many of us have deemed that ours do, you need then decide how radical to go.

~HoundDog

Old 09-23-2003, 12:55 PM
Range Rover
Default If you had the $

I'm not a racer. I bought it to ride with my boys trailriding and for the dunes also. Last year at Glamis I felt it needed more power when I was going up some of the bigger hills. Other than that it's not needed(except for the fun it would give!). I guess the 686 would be plenty..but then I dont know for sure. #1 thing is I want to be able to depend on it like I do now.

What list of things would everyone recommend, motor wise.

Old 09-23-2003, 06:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default If you had the $

C'mon Jim. I seem to recall a time or two when you were wondering/wishing/speaking out loud about, shoulda woulda coulda stayed stock or close to it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Actualy, I'd do it again. I'm happy with what I have. Could always use more. More MONEY. If I'd have never went to the dunes I'd have never went to what I have now I can guarantee that.

Old 09-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default If you had the $

Our Raptor with the astonishing mods I've done to it (K&N, jets, gears) feels real powerful until you get through the gate out into the sand dunes. Then it feels like a big gutless pig, especially when it was bone stock.

I need a certain level of upgrades but think a stock bore11-1, stage 1 cam, mild port, pipe would be satisfactory without sacrificing reliability. (till I blow tranny) I could do more but just don't think I would.

I have been the route of built engines breaking stuff and it's such a pain. I'm looking for balance this time.

If I wanted to go fast I'd craft a street bike motor quad.

Old 09-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default If you had the $

If I had the money.....I'd keep it stock, unless I spent all my time in the sand, then I'd want the best, fastest, alky/nitro burning monster, because the sand is where you can really use the power, not trailing around.

Old 09-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default If you had the $

If I had the $ , I would have a full Desert Pro Truck to cruise the Dunes in.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I love my 686 but I will say It's a love/hate Tragity.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]