Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

01 Raptor Rebuild (update)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Raptor Rebuild (update)

Chasis
-got shocks back from Elka...revalved, re-charged, shafts replaced (extended) andrear reservoir was extended for mounting up front.
- Old frame completely stripped
- New chasis assembly has begun (check pics): harness, radiator etc.
- Bearings in Swing-arm and steering stem need replacing.

Engine
-broke engine down and split case. No damage to cylinder walls or rings.
-Ran into problem with tranny. need gears pulled and pressed. Fanagled a make shift press and puller and moved on.
-new 02 tranny installation complete.

Thank you Raptortranny.com...i had my laptop next to me the whole time. website covered everything.

this weeks goals:
-install steering stem and new bearings
-install New +2 LSR A-arms and bearing kit
-Install Swing-arm with new Bearings
-re-pack muffler

in short...prepare New Chasis for engine installation

Old 10-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

You welcome Kuz! Im glad it helped you out

How long is the reseviour line on your shock now?

Old 10-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

I have'nt measured it yet...but they mimiced it after the Duncan Dream Raptor in DW this week. Came close to buying the Elka linkage as well.

My bud and I did the work...evrytime we had a question...we'd just read a little further...and you already had the answer(i felt like you were there the whole time). the roll-over pics were awesome as well. i was surprised to see what little damage there actually was. but the dogs were defiantely rounded. i quess i was expecting to see more. your parts list was right on. i remember you mentioning that something needed to be pressed. but could'nt remeber what. well we managed to Mickey mouse a puller and press. and saved a trip to the dealer. we practiced on the old shaft and gears first successfuly without so much as a blemich on the gears or shaft. so we proceeded with success.

Engine re-assembly is next and i'm talking with 14mins about the possibilty of adding the 10.75/1 piston and the stage1 Hotcam while i have everything apart.

whats the deal with the grooves on the 02 gears? purpose?

oh yeah...i'll be ordering my "02 Tranny inside sticker" soon.

you my friend ....are my savior. and i won't forget your timely assistance in my hour of need.

Old 10-06-2003, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

I thought about the grooves in the 02 gears alot and only could come up with that they are some kind of make shift oil galley, to keep more oil on the gear when they are meshed together.

Sounds like my site really helped you, thats all that matters to me!

I'd be interested in hearing about your makeshift mickey mouse press though?!

Old 10-06-2003, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

the pics are up now

the press is a Ball joint press for automobiles...essentialy it's a large C-Clamp. that we quick-vised done to the work bench. we wrapped the gear shaft in a shop rag to avoid metal to metal contact and fed it through one end of the clamp...then placed aluminum (soft metal) washers on both ends and began to press (lubricating with Cutting/tapping fluid).

once the Gear to be pressed became flush with end of shaft...we backed press off and replaced washer with an impact socket (not sure what size) and completed the press the remaining way.

the tapping fluid was key for pressing the gear on in a slow controlable manner. in our test run using the old shaft and gear. we did not use the tapping fluid and it seemed to bind..them a loud "pop" and it would move up. NOT controlable and we had concerns about wether we could ease it into the proper Position without over shooting the recommended stop point.

close inspection revealed no blemishes,scoring or metal on metal debri. Perfect press.