Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rode the two kings at pismo yesterday.. :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rode the two kings at pismo yesterday.. :)

MMMMMMM thats funny the YFZ has to rev hard and the YFZ is for MX??? well then why are all the raptors behind me in the sand??? yes i will agree that the raptor has a softer ride...but so does a Cadillac .. and if you put a Cadillac on a track how do you think it would do...........the rapor is a nice quad but come on...

Old 10-09-2003, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldent be behind you..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-09-2003, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

A good measure of torque is looking at the stroke.
yfz=95mm(bore) x 62mm(stroke)
raptor=100mm(bore x 84mm(stroke)

The piston will have a lot longer to travel thus giving it more low end. Look at the size of the yfz's piston. It is very large with not much stroke so you know it is going to scream but it will be hurting from 1/3 throttle and lower.

Look at honda's old XR(dirtbike) vs XL(enduro) 600's. The xr had a small piston and a larger stroke thus giving it more low end, better on a dirtbike thumper. The xl had a large piston (100mm) but a short stroke and it screamed to the moon. the enduro was a little faster stock but it is easier to hop up the XR's because you only have to bore the cylinder all top end work vs stroking it which is a ton more work.

Both are great bike just depends on what you want... semi-stock speed or potential? Thumper or a Screamer? mx setup(stiffer susp.) or a softer cruiser ride?

Old 10-09-2003, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: stevendsm95gst
It just didnt have the torque that the yfz has.
Thats obviously not right, the Rappy has way more torque than the YFZ. Hmm...660 vs. 450? Obviously the 660 puts the smack down on torque with it's MUCH larger displacement.

Old 10-09-2003, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

BigBubba,
Congrats on getting the CR686 fixed. I bought my engine right after you did probably by about a week or two and we have pretty much the same stuff done. What all did you have to do to get it up and running

Again (>stroke=>torque)

Old 10-09-2003, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Yup BigBubbas beast is back [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Guys the displacement beetween is a big difference... Raptor 660 and yfz 450... Raptor D does have more torque..

Old 10-09-2003, 02:25 AM
Trailblazer

heyRaptor03 i bet you stock for stock or mod for mod you would be behind me!!!! and all you raptor guys know it !! so stop beeing mad that yamaha came out with some thing better than the raptor and you dont have it..............

Old 10-09-2003, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

I ended up having to fix the Rod, piston, valves, sleeve, both cases, clutch cover, and the whole transmission. I also replaced parts with heavy duty ones and those are starter one-way, clutch, and rod. I almost had to replace the crank too cause it was pretty beat up but not enough to replace so I just got it balance and cleaned up. Thats pretty much it.

Old 10-09-2003, 04:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: applepie
heyRaptor03 i bet you stock for stock or mod for mod you would be behind me!!!! and all you raptor guys know it !! so stop beeing mad that yamaha came out with some thing better than the raptor and you dont have it..............
Well Stock for stock the YFZ has it, there is no question about it. I don't care what stories raptors have of beating them stock for stock. Now mod for mod, I honestly think not. The Raptor comes with a very mild cam, and has alot of room to improve on it. The YFZ comes with a pritty good looking cam and doesn't have the kind of impact that a raptor will with new cam. YFZ also comes with a higher compression piston than the rappy. Rappy has alot more displacement to work with. Then there is the wieght Dif. No question YFZ has it. Now lets start off by evening the quads up. Take the YFZ Give it pipe and filter. Than take Raptor give it pipe and filter and a 11:1 piston like the YFZ has (if i am correct) give it a more moderate cam, hotcam stage 1. Now they have equal parts in them. Even with the wieght dif i think rappy would take it in a sand clim/drag, not the track. Now if You want to go fully modded vs fully modded. Look at the 730 craycraft Rappy and tell me there is a way for a YFZ to compete like that in a drag. They are both great quads but honestly I don't think The YFZ is the ultimate duning machine, I will agree its the ultimate MXing, and I will love to see them at the DUNES!!!!! just want to see more of them, cause I love the new yammy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It still is prolly a great dune bike tho, jsut don't expect them to cream people at FSW or anything.

Old 10-09-2003, 04:50 AM
Pro Rider

BTW they didn't make the YFZ to compete/compare to the rappy, the rappy still holds his place. They didn't come out with a "newer better quad that will ulitmately replace the raptor because it is faster stock, has better handling, and better shocks on it, blah blah" I like the YFZ, but don't think for a secound that because it has less CC's and more HP stock that it is better. That would be a newbie assumption because everyone knows that the YFZ comes built up a bit allready and the rappy comes a bit detuned//weak allready. Mainly so people wouldn't kill themselves on it when it reaches its full potential. I hate to have to knock horns with fellow quad owners, but when stuff like this is said I need to speak my mind. Please take no offense. YFZ is a nice quad but come on...

Quick Reply: Rode the two kings at pismo yesterday.. :)