Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

MX YZF450 takes YZ450 Dirtbike: Historical!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 03:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MX YZF450 takes YZ450 Dirtbike: Historical!

[quote]
Originally posted by: cctman
Originally posted by: JensUK
Overcoming inertia via smaller engine parts and less mass has little to do with the acceleration and traction.
It has everything to do with acceleration.

A 120 hp Lotus Elise can break 6 seconds to 60 mph. How long does a 300 hp Hummer take?

Don't think just because you can use the terms inertia and "F=ma" that it makes you sound any more intelligent.
I wasn't trying to sound intelligent; I just wanted someone to think for a second about the physics of what they are saying.

In drag racing, if your car is to light and your turning to much hp and torque, you will literally sit still while your tires are turning at 9,000 revolutions per second without going anywhere.
So you're saying dragsters are voluntarily adding mass in order to go faster? Do you have a source or website I can read about this?

This is a big problem even in sport bikes racing.
Then why do they come out lighter and lighter with each iteration? I have yet to see an ad like: "The new Suzuki GSR-X 750 - 800 lbs of road hugging weight!"

Could you imagine a 160hp ATV set-up running against a gsxr 1000?
If more weight is good, then a 2700 lb, 150 hp Neons should spank my lowly 380 lb, 95 hp sport bike in the quarter mile. It's got 55 more hp, after all, and all that weight to help it hook up.

Or for that matter, a 260 hp Mustang. It even transfer weight to the drive wheels. But it still won't beat the lightweight vehicle with almost 3x the horespower.

I stand by: Weight is bad.

Old 10-20-2003, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Overcoming inertia via smaller engine parts and less mass has little to do with the acceleration and traction. Another words it makes vary little difference when dealing with over all performance. The big factors are contact surface, and hp/torque curves. Don't think just because you can use the terms inertia and "F=ma" that it makes you sound any more intelligent.
This is great, you say that less mass has little to do with acceleration, then you requote that F=ma

ha ha.

Old 10-20-2003, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Corpsie
Overcoming inertia via smaller engine parts and less mass has little to do with the acceleration and traction. Another words it makes vary little difference when dealing with over all performance. The big factors are contact surface, and hp/torque curves. Don't think just because you can use the terms inertia and "F=ma" that it makes you sound any more intelligent.
This is great, you say that less mass has little to do with acceleration, then you requote that F=ma

ha ha.
I think you and JensUK need a lesson on how not to pull information out of context and redefine the sentance structure around the words in order to alter the orginal meaning. What I said was .. "Overcoming inertia via smaller engine parts and less mass has little to do with the acceleration and traction. Another words it makes vary little difference when dealing with over all performance." I didn't say that in the realm of science and physics it has little to do with the Netwon's laws, what was meant was the overall "acceleration and traction" of the ATV and I qualified this by saying "Another words it makes vary little difference when dealing with over all performance."" And this is true, of all the variables that influence performance, bringing up inertia into the equation which is the initial force involved in moving an object has little to do with the over all performance. hp/torque and contact patch have alot more to do with overall performance than inertia and saving weight in the engine.

Old 10-20-2003, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Anybody can build a super hp motor. What difference does it make if you can't use it. Again, have you ever seen a 60-80hp pro MX bike? Nope! Have you ever seen a 60-80hp MX ATV? yep! I have one in my garage.
The MX bike weighs less. Higher HP motors tend to weigh more because they use more material to withstand combustion chamber forces

Another point I would like to make...you said "Weight is never counter productive to traction unless you are on a material in which you need to "sink down". "

Although vary vague and I'm not sure what your trying to say here, I have been in the race industry for many years, and there are many factors in racing, but if your trying to say that to little weight can not be counter productive in regards to traction your vary wrong. In drag racing, if your car is to light and your turning to much hp and torque, you will literally sit still while your tires are turning at 9,000 revolutions per second without going anywhere.
That's because you exceeded the force required to overcome static friction! The cars are as light as possible with their mass distributed properly based on requirement. Oh... did I just mention that position of mass can affect something? OH NO!!

This is a big problem even in sport bikes racing. You ever here of counter stearing? This is a fairly new technique involved where your laying into a curve you literally twist the throttle and spin up the back tire until it heats up and spins up and catches traction and you literally get slinged out of a corner. IT used to be pretty uncommon but now almost every AMA SBK racer uses the technique, at least in the full liter bike class.
That's not "counter steering, it's drifting. It's not a new technique at all and doesn't require the rear tire to heat up significantly to work.

Now, to much weight obviously can create traction problems too, but so can to little weight.
Yeah, when the mass is so low you get blown around by the wind, but we're dealing with 200+ pound machines here.

Thats why I stick to my guns and think other than changing composite materials and tweaking suspenions there is very little to do with dirtbikes, and I don't see any major changes in the near future that are going to completely revolutionize the dirtbike industry. Its pretty much peaked out.

Now ATV's on the other hand, we are light years behind technology and what we can do. Just wait until an ATV version of the sport bike is allowed on the streets. Could you imagine a 160hp ATV set-up running against a gsxr 1000? I'm sure its only a matter of time. The dirtbike days are pretty much numbered.
Lighterweight materials will allow bikes to continue to get faster.

And don't get me started on ATV's out braking MX bikes because of there larger contact surface...
F=ma

Old 10-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

I think you and JensUK need a lesson on how not to pull information out of context and redefine the sentance structure around the words in order to alter the orginal meaning. What I said was .. "Overcoming inertia via smaller engine parts and less mass has little to do with the acceleration and traction. Another words it makes vary little difference when dealing with over all performance." I didn't say that in the realm of science and physics it has little to do with the Netwon's laws, what was meant was the overall "acceleration and traction" of the ATV and I qualified this by saying "Another words it makes vary little difference when dealing with over all performance."" And this is true, of all the variables that influence performance, bringing up inertia into the equation which is the initial force involved in moving an object has little to do with the over all performance. hp/torque and contact patch have alot more to do with overall performance than inertia and saving weight in the engine.
Lowering mass lowers a body's intertia! F=ma. It's really simple.

Smaller engine parts reduces the mass moment of intertia which allows the engine to produce more torque at the output shaft. Torque = mass moment of intertia * angular acceleration.

You can use an engine that produces less torque in a lighter weight vehicle, because it is a lighter weight vehicle.

Mass have a LOT to do with performance.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Corpsie

Lowering mass lowers a body's intertia! F=ma. It's really simple.

Smaller engine parts reduces the mass moment of intertia which allows the engine to produce more torque at the output shaft. Torque = mass moment of intertia * angular acceleration.

You can use an engine that produces less torque in a lighter weight vehicle, because it is a lighter weight vehicle.

Mass have a LOT to do with performance.
Lets try and be a little more specific here, mass has alot to do with performance (only if your refering to overall vehicle mass), but within context inertia and engine mass in the grand scheme of performance is not as important as contact surface area and hp/torque specs. This is important because I made the original statement that "Overcoming inertia via smaller engine parts and less mass has little to do with the acceleration and traction. " I stick to this statement. You can have a smaller displacment engine with heavier internal parts and it will perform just fine if the output charteristics are well off. ex; if this weren't true then how come pro level drag cars still use big block engines with traditional pistons and cams. Sure you can lighten them up, but take away the larger tires and see where that gets you. The same can be said off ATV's. This will always be the benefit of an ATV over the dirtbike.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:16 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget it!!! You guys are all wrong and he is right!!! He uses bigger words and more of them so he wins!! Stop trying to sound more intelligent then him, he doesnt like having to read his thesaurus to find more words to beat you guys!!! It's simple, he who uses bigger words wins..........

Old 10-20-2003, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DEMag
Again, have you ever seen a 60-80hp pro MX bike? Nope!
Ever heard of the CR500 or KX500? Modded, each will EASILY produce better then 60 HP. My modded YZ250 got over 50HP.

Do you see quad races selling out 60,000 seat stadiums? Nope. Maybe I'm not looking close enough, but I haven't seen a single quad race on tv. I don't see any pro quad racers doing TV commericals, do you? Event money (supercross, moto-x, x-games, gravity games, etc), sponsorship money, tv coverage, and rider salaries have never been this high. Ever! And they keep going up. If quads are so much better then bikes, how come they are not dominating the industry? Funny thing is, they sell more quads then dirtbikes. Yet the bikes are still more popular. Maybe with the "intelligence" you gathered from your years in the racing industry you can fabricate some scientific BS reason for that.

No doubt ATVs have come a long way and are progressing even further every day. But to say bikes are going to be phased out and "their days are pretty much numbered" is beyond ignorant. And how many bikes have you seen banned lately? None! How many quads have been banned recently? Hmmmm, the Banshee comes to mind. Phased out by 2006 IIRC.
Demag, if your asking the question, then the answer lies in the obvious fact that ATV's haven't been in the lime light of the media and TV over the last decade. I would blame that largely on not that motorcycles are suppose to be more exciting (which is rediculous), but the fact that law suits, and the demise of the 2 stroke ATV's, and manufacture expensive driven choices have placed dirt bikes in front center. Lets not forget that the success of the dirtbikes has been largely linked to the fact that they have been protected largely under the umbrella of the AMA, if not for the AMA support and collateral big brother super bike support, the dirt bikes and MX/SX wouldn't be half as successful as they are today.

Old 10-20-2003, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Demag, if your asking the question, then the answer lies in the obvious fact that ATV's haven't been in the lime light of the media and TV over the last decade. I would blame that largely on not that motorcycles are suppose to be more exciting (which is rediculous), but the fact that law suits, and the demise of the 2 stroke ATV's, and manufacture expensive driven choices have placed dirt bikes in front center. Lets not forget that the success of the dirtbikes has been largely linked to the fact that they have been protected largely under the umbrella of the AMA, if not for the AMA support and collateral big brother super bike support, the dirt bikes and MX/SX wouldn't be half as successful as they are today.
Ok. Thats fine, but you missed the point. My point is that you are wrong in saying that bikes have a dismal future. And I was making clear how the evidence proves that you are wrong. Bikes are progressing and so are quads. And there is no end to that progression in the forseeable future. Theres simply too much money to be made for it to fade away.

Enough with the BS about mass, inertia, and traction. Its all moot. I don't care if quads can corner quicker and better then bikes. It doesn't matter because bikes get from corner to corner faster. And thats what counts.

Old 10-21-2003, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

You can have a smaller displacment engine with heavier internal parts and it will perform just fine if the output charteristics are well off. ex; if this weren't true then how come pro level drag cars still use big block engines with traditional pistons and cams. Sure you can lighten them up, but take away the larger tires and see where that gets you. The same can be said off ATV's. This will always be the benefit of an ATV over the dirtbike.
What boost pressures do dragster run? That's why they run big blocks with heavy internals.

You're going off on too many tangents.

Quick Reply: MX YZF450 takes YZ450 Dirtbike: Historical!