Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

need input from atv enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need input from atv enthusiasts

Hey guys,
I found your website searching google for atv quads.
It certainly looks like this site is to quads as Thumpertalk is to 4 stroke dirtbikes.
I've always been a cyclist but recently got some quad time on a Raptor and had a blast.
I've got a local HS racer willing to trade me a 01 Banshee w/ Toomey exhaust, straightup for a 01 WR426.
We swapped rides yesterday afternoon for a few minutes and his Banshee really ripped.
His quad was jetted very crisply, but the rest is stock. My bike has YZ timing and jetting. They both appear to be in about equal condition for their ages.
I plan on mostly trailriding with an occasional MX or HS race once I learn to become a better quad rider.
My questions are;
Are the Banshees high on major maintenance such as pistons and rings like 2stroke MX bikes?
Are there any things to look for on the machine such as spots in the frame where stress cracks may seem to begin?
Most importantly, how does the Banshee compare to the new sport quads like the YFZ and the new Honda, both suspensionally and performancewise?
It rode like a 125 mx bike. Definitely high RPM oriented with a lightswitch powerband.
I'm certain that the powerband of a fourstroke quad is more userfriendly.
My WR is one of my favorite rides, I can afford a new quad but would rather trade a paid for bike for a capable quad.
Thanks in advance for any and all replies to this thread.
See Ya, Kelly

Old 10-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

got some maint. with the banshee. guess i would depend on what you can do yourself.

Old 10-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Banshee is more of a staright line performance/dune bike. It still handles though, just not as good as some of the others. It has the most engine potential of any quad around though. Go in a banshee forum though and see how many people are complainging about being broke down.... Then goto a 4 stroke forum... Unless you port it or run it at constant high rpms the rings last a pretty long time.

Old 10-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

with a banshee you can easily empty your pockets quick... there is so much you can do to em.

Old 10-12-2003, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

Well, my cousin has more money than he has sense....or does it take sense to make this kind of money?: He bought a brand new banshee, removed everything but the gearbox and frame, bought the best of everything, sent his engine off for the top mods, put it all together, and it is truely UNREAL. Scary, scary fast. Cost was about 15 grand including quad purchase price. Just an example of what Hozed said.