Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Good ride went bad Sunday.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good ride went bad Sunday.

We were riding on one of the local trails Sunday. My girlfriend on with me, my pal on his Wolvy and his 13 year old son on a Beartracker. We had been gone 3-4 hours, had made the big loop around this mtn top thru some pretty deep mud and rough trails. I had been in front in 2wd just to make sure the Beartracker could make it thru. We had stopped for a break and my pal and his son went on first. Well they had got out of sight of us and had started off a short cut and saw was washed out too bad. When they turned to climb back up the boy on the Beartracker flipped back. His machine must have landed on his leg. I had stopped at a fork in the trail to see if I could hear which way they had went. When I did Icould hear them yelling for us. When I got there I saw the boy lying on the trail in a lot of pain. Its pretty scary when you know someone is hurt bad, no phone miles from the nearest house. I left the girlfriend to help the boy's dad tend to him while I rode as hard as I could to a phone. Called their family, told them to meet us at a gate of this gas co. access. I knew the gate would be locked but It was the closest place to get him off the hill to. When I got back they had him sitting on his dads machine. we told him that we could get him off the hill quickest by going down the gas co's pickup access. He was pretty tough he rode that Wolvy off the hill. when we got to the gate the family was there. Sure enough the gate was locked,but ther was room to slide under it. We got him in the truck and on his way ot the hospital. I just heard from them this morning, he's got two broken bones in his leg. He was pretty damn tough to ride of that hill like that. It's real easy to forget these machines are not toys. They can really hurt you when you least expect it. Lets all try to be a little careful I REALLY don't like stuff like this. This boy is probably 5-8 160lbs and has been riding that Beartracker 2+years. It could happen to anybody BE SAFE GUYS!

Old 10-14-2003, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

Tough kid, hope he has a speedy recovery.

Old 10-14-2003, 09:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: shastadog
This boy is probably 5-8 160lbs and has been riding that Beartracker 2+years. It could happen to anybody BE SAFE GUYS!
Good too hear he will be OK. As you said, atv's are not toys and should be treated with respect. IMO, 2 years is not a lot of seat time.....I would not let him get out of site when trail riding. If he had been on a bike this would not have happenned....I would like too see more young kids hone their skills on bikes and then make the switch over too the heavy and more bulky atv's.

Old 10-14-2003, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Heard from him again, He seemed in good spirits. He's going to miss the rest of football season but he's got this cast for his pals to sign. I was wrong about his age, he's 14.

Old 10-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Range Rover

Was he wearing boots?

Old 10-14-2003, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

He was wearing boots but they were not motocross boots they were like a steel toe work boot. Riding boots might have helped.

Old 10-14-2003, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

Yea tough kid... Also when ridding you need to keep a cell phone at all times man... From what I read you didnt have one? That is always important incase it was REALLY bad and didnt have time to get to a phone a long ways away... Just a note

Old 10-14-2003, 11:40 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Its amazing how fast things can turn bad.

glad it wasnt his neck

Tell him were pullin for him!

Old 10-14-2003, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

wow, glad he is ok and it's only minor. Sure hope it doesn't turn him off of the sport!

Do you think MX boots would help? Didn't really say where his leg was broken. Reason I ask, I have never worn them... may look into them now

Old 10-14-2003, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad he is ok. Never can be too careful.

Quick Reply: Good ride went bad Sunday.