Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

? to all dirtbikers

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? to all dirtbikers

I'll try to answer all the questions...

IMO, A 450 is too big to start out with. Start with something small like a 125 2-stroke or 250 4-Stroke, they are still fast but aren't as heavy or have the arm-ripping power. This will make it easier to learn how the bike will react in the air and through braking bumps on the track. I agree with those who have said it's all about seat time and getting used to two wheels.

And if you are worried about out growing a smaller bike...Look into what motocross bikes have the most aftermarket parts. I also know that there are several companies that make bored over 125's that absolutely rip.

As far as sliding the rear end, on my CR125 all I have to do is shift my weight, push the peg down, and slip the clutch. The back will just walk until I straighten it up.

Also, you will fall more on the bike until you learn how the bike will react in certain conditions like mud, rocks, or wet grass. You aren't going to have the same amount of traction on the bike obviously.

I have always ridden in full gear. I feal naked when I'm not wearing it all.

I hope all that helps a little...

Old 10-20-2003, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

have u gotten badly hurt? 125 two's are equal to 250 four's. I thought it would be more like a 300 or 350.

Old 10-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

broke tail bone pulled neck muscles about all muscles pulled bruises cuts and i been riding since i was 5 its just dirtbikes you go down alot more lets say like me i was doing 40 ft double easy done it plenty of times but just that one time came off wrong and that front end wheel was a lil sideways and gone all i can say is dirtbikes seem to harder to me than quads personally front wheel trys to slide out corners are more difficult jumps i seem to like atv's better and 2 stroke is a pain so much torque but it all depends how slow u take it if your gonna buy a big bike dont ge tin a rush.

Old 10-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

and to add that all gear i was wearing chest protector helmet boots everything...

Old 10-20-2003, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Its mostly down to seat time or natural talent,you might even find that once youve got the feel for it your better on a bike.My mistake was not looking where I was going,I was cruisin down the road back from work and didnt see the HUGE block of wood that probably fell off some irresponable truckers back end,I saw it at the last moment but the front end spit up,came back down and I kept it going for about 4 seconds wobbling everywhere before it couldnt take anymore and crashed onto its side,I rolled and the bike slid about 4 meters further from me,in the fall my shoe got ripped off,I got serious road-rash over my butt and lower back(and foot) and I got to see parts of my fingernails I thought Id never see(not something you want to)...I was wearing a good helmet(the only day I wear someone elses expensive helmet and I crash!),was going 98KPH thats about 60MPH.Someone stopped to help me and he asked what he could do,I said turn the engine off,he walked over to the bike and put the bike upright before turning it off,the whole front end was hanging off and the front wheel was very nearly back-to-front,but rather the bike than me.STAY ALERT EVEN AFTER HARD DAYS WORK.(Oh and I got out of paying for the helmet by buying him a skateboard,seriously)

Old 10-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Range Rover

All I know is that after riding my bike, I jumped on my friends raptor, and it felt gutless, not that it was just, the torque wasnt nearly the same. I have got hurt worse on my bike than my quad.

Old 10-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

hmmm, this is a really hard decision. The nice thing about dirtbikes is that you dont really need anything to do to them, i can buy one of those trailer hitch things that holds the bike parallel directly to the hitch, you do lesss damage to the bike(usually) if u fall. wow, i guess it all just depends how much money i have by spring. But then again, im really not too fond of buying a first year quad...especially a yammy!

Old 10-20-2003, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

i rode dirt bikes for over 25 years and i can tell you from experience that you will find your self on the ground more when riding a dirt bike as compared to a quad,there is no way around that fact.if you wear proper gear and ride within your limitations you may not get any major injuries but you should be aware that the potential for injury or at least the frequency of it is greater on a dirt bike .some quad riders may not like to hear this or believe it but riding a dirt bike is much more difficult than riding a quad if for no other reason than the fact that you always have to maintain your balance .the one aspect of riding a quad that in my opinion is more dangerous than a dirt bike is the weight of the quad if it does come down on you ,trust me it hurts a lot worse than a dirt bike.i would suggest that you take all factors into consideration and do what feels right to you and as i said earlier, always ride within your limitations .

Old 10-21-2003, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

can anyone tell me how powerful a yz250f is. If you can compare it to something. Will it beat a 400ex? predator? raptor?

Old 10-21-2003, 06:36 AM
Trailblazer

My first bike was a KTM 300 EXC and it had great power, but not too much. I wouldn't have anything below a 250 in a 2 stroke. Take your time and you will pick it up FAST. IMO, a 250 2 stroke isn't too much power. If you want a MX bike get a CR, KX, YZ, but if you want a trail bike get an XR or a KTM enduro. My KTM 300 EXC will SPANK a Yamaha 450 and its a blast too ride!

Quick Reply: ? to all dirtbikers