Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

? to all dirtbikers

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 08:51 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? to all dirtbikers

a 250f will not beat a raptor in a drag a 250 2 stroke is a different story
my friend is currently in hospital with broken leg and ribs from a mx accident on a yz450 but he had been riding for years so it just depends how fast you take it
i have had a ride on his 450 and it is surprisingly easy to ride unless you nail the throttle
the only other dirtbike i have ridden is a ktm380 2 stroke and that was scary!

Old 10-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

I never was serious about wheelers until I was 15 or 16...I grew up riding dirt bikes. Mostly 2 strokes.(started on a 80 and went up through the 250's..now I own a 400) ..owned a few quads in between.

A dirt bike is a totally different beast than a quad. The seat time I had on a bike made me a much better quad rider..reason being..there is no such quad that will give you the seat of the pants hit that a dirtbike will give you...you learn to respect it quick.. I love my quads...but I (and most other riders I know) tend to get lazy on a quad....pull off that big jump or trick and then take a few minutes before you get on it again. There is no time to get lazy on a dirt bike....you do and your going down. It takes full concentration on a bike to do good.

With that said....( and don't knock me quad guys).. after all these years...I find riding a bike much easier than a quad. Not only can a bike run tight single track trails..they eat up the bumps better...are less jarring on the body...off camber jumps or landings are no problem.

It's really up to you... But I do not agree with the people that are telling you to go 250 or higher for your first bike..You have a death wish? Get a used 125 to start on...learn to control it, then go bigger if feel the need. A 125 will jump like a beast with a surprising amount of get up and go. Once you get used to it.(even on a 125) your buddies will eventually wish they could keep up with you in the woods on the quads.

Which ever way you decide...do it safely....
Please do not take this wrong...but you are very concerned with injury (according to your post)...so I question if you are really ready to go two wheels.... Of course it is good to have a little apprehention...but you can't go into this afraid of the machine...that's where the trouble starts...My buddy went out and bought a brand new kx250 last spring...that bike ripped, but he was afraid of it...bottom line...he does not have it anymore...spent much time on the ground. And yes he has a few injuries.

have I crashed? Oh yeah all the time..that's part of MX on a dirt bike.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-21-2003, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

well when i was talking about me getting a 250, i meant a 250 four stroke. You said get a 125 (im assuming two stroke) and im pretty sure thats the same thing. So im gonna take it that you always recommend a yz250f? no?

and no, im not terrified of dirbikes. Like i said, i know its nothing compared to these things, but i had more ***** and skill (he claims) and i actually did some jumps i was doing on my raptor and getting high enough to bottom out the suspension. Not that its that hard. But all im saying is i have college and $hit coming up, and i am going to take it real easy if i get one and i know eventually ill go down. A broken arm i dont really mind, but im not sure if i want any of this serious stuff like punctured lungs, broken ribs, necks. Will wearing all the equipment prevent a lot of this?

Does the chest protector and kidney belt actually help significantly? Right now i have helmet googles gloves chest protector kidney belt and foxMXpants. And for my raptor, compared to all the other people on quads and what they were wearing, it seems like i was definately on the safe side. Atleast at the track i go to . (JACK FROST/TRAXXX)

I would get knee pads elbow pads and basically any other protection they made and I would wear it religiously.

PUT it this way, i had to wait til i was pretty old for my dad to let me get a quad and even then he was skeptical. He always says, "i dont wanna be pushing a parapalegic around the rest of my life. I want to send u to college and enjoy whats left of my life" So thats all im saying. I dont want any super serious injury. O yeah, im getting boots too. So what do u guys think of this?

Old 10-21-2003, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

I would get knee pads... ...any other protection they made and I would wear it religiously.
Knee braces w/ pads.

Old 10-21-2003, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

Well...dads will be dads...they have reason to be concerned....I really like the 250f...nice bike.

You will do just fine...go for it...just don't blame me if you decide it's more fun than the quad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

i really wouldnt be surprised if i did. I always had a fascination with dirtbikes, but three years ago theere was no way my dad would even entertain the convo of a dirtbike.

it says the msrp is 5499. So if i pay cash i can probably get it for that or evena little less without tax. Does anybody know how much those trailers are that dont have wheels. The bike is held up on a metal strip parallel to the rear of the car and right off the hitch. I dont really know what there called. Is there anything really different to maintaining a dirtbike that a quad? thanks for the help so far guys, youve been a great help.

Old 10-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

o and so what exactly can i beat with a yz250f? as far as quads go?

Old 10-21-2003, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

I think you will find that a dirt bike is much easier to maintain than a quad...in all aspects.
Of course you still need to lube, clean and change oil....but the dirt bikes just seem to take the abuse better. I'v flipped a 125 end over end just to start it back up and take off....

Your second question...what can you beat? Well...are we talking drag racing (which in my opinion is worthless) or are we talking MX?
I think most quads will be hard pressed to beat that machine on an actual mx track....but then again...there are too many factors to even consider answering it. I live a few miles from Unadilla, NY.....if they would even let a quad on the whole track...there would be no way any quad would stand a chance against a 125 or the like (250f) ....

But on a sand track like motomasters(mexico, ny)..it would be a better race.

There will be many who have never ridden a bike that will argue the whole quad vs bike thing till they are blue in the face...Well I drag raced this and dynoed that....PPbbbbbbt ... or I know this guy...lol ....I have this video.... well you get the point.

You know....been riding for years...and I cannot remember the last time I drag raced...and I can't remember the last time my friends and myself even had a discussion about who can beat who...we just ride.

Old 10-21-2003, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Im thinking about trading my raptor for a 125 kx or Yz. Like you i have had a fascination with dirtbikes, I couldnt ride one for **** till my friend let me ride his yz80 and I can now endo, wheelie, and rip around a turn on it like nothing. I think you keep your mind on riding with a dirtbike and that I agree, the worst injuries sustained from a bike was I was wheeling a DS two stroke 80 in wet grass, I guess the tires where spinning, then I hit the road and ended up dragging my bare knees across the real nasty, flesh tearing asphalt ouch, they nick named my superman after that lol.

Old 10-21-2003, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Bikes seem to be a lot easier to maintain - yank the seat and tank and eveything is right there.

Warrior86 - have ya considered a Kawasaki KLX300r (4-stroke) ? I picked up a used one for $1400 (very good deal) in great shape - super first bike - well suspended, light and handles great.

Check out KLX Zone or Planet KLX

Quick Reply: ? to all dirtbikers