Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

? to all dirtbikers

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? to all dirtbikers

DONT go out and get the 450 if you have not owned a bike before, this is like giving a 13 year old keys to a vette. You say you have ridden your friends XR 200 spmewhat aggresively, but your opinion of riding a bike aggresive, and others who have ridden bikes their whole lives might be different.
The 450 is not designed as a playbike, it doesnt do well being ridden lightly, the harder you ride it, the better it handles and performs. This should not be someones first bike. You havent said anything about how tall you arem how old you are, your weight, etc.. This information would be helpful.
I have ridden Bikes from the age of 4, so for 29 years I have been riding and racing Bikes, and im sorry, but I see too often people getting hurt because they have a bike beyond their capabilities.
I have seen PLENTY of 30 year old guys riding cr 500s that really shouldnt be on anything bigger than an 80.. And vice versa, I have seen many kids, my own included that have the expereince to handle a larger bike if they could only touch on it.
My opinion, is start with something tamer, yet fun and torquey, if your SET on getting something in the 400 cc class, go with an XR 400, they run forever have decent power and with the torque they have down low, it makes riding the technical spots a bit easier. THEN when you got some time under your belt, sell or trade it, they hold their value really well.

Ron

KTM 520 EX/C
KTM 200 EX/C
CR 500 (2)
Elimiinator
Sportsman 400

Old 10-22-2003, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

thats why im looking into the yz250f. and im 18 (practically) about 6 foot maybe a little more, and i dont really know how much i weigh. Maybe 160-165. i have no idea. and whats the deal with the oil reservoir on these bikes? thanks for the replies

Old 10-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

sorry sayitfmf, i didnt see your post. Thats crazy. WHy dont they do that with quads? that would be a good idea, no?

Old 10-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

o and im not saying i ride that agressive as if im even pretty good. i suck compared to someone that knows what there doing. I know i dont know what im doing. Im just saying i ride pretty well for someone that has had barely any seat time, or so my friends with bikes say. i seem to figure out some technique pretty quick. I think a yz250f (yz125) wouldnt be too overbearing. I could still have a little room to grow into it, but not so much that its way beyond me and actually delays my learning.

Old 10-22-2003, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Honestly a 400 would be easier to ride, a 125 is very pipey, light switch power band. They are hard to get right, you either end up running the thing wide open or stalling them., BUT your on the right track by asking for advice. I would definitley get the YZ250F over the 2-stroke 125, its easier to ride, more forgiving and less plug fouling if you do decide to ride a bit slow for a while.

Ron

Old 10-22-2003, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

I saw some YFZ 250f's this last weekend and they were fast, but they weren't huge like the 400 class stuff. They seem pretty nice. I wish I could have a bike and a quad, but can't justify not being able to tow stuff, go camping, mudding, or anything else. If you're good at it, and know your limits, you may never fall. A lot of times there are things you can't control and you might end up laying it down, but I've had my XR 80 for a few years now and still have never wrecked it. I know it's just an 80, but it's been ridden and jumped way too hard for what it is. I'd say go with the 250f. It sounds about right for your size. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2003, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, cause a 450/4 is equal to a 250/2. I dont think im ready for the bike ricky carmichael rides. And i was looking at the 450 at first, but i realized i was considering the same thing as a yz250 thats wild stuff for the big boys. 125 are still real powerful but not AS wild, but ive never experienced a two stroke powerband on a bike and i really dont want to. (ina way)

so the yz250f is a nice bike and i think ill be able to handle it. Before i take it to the track im just gonna ride in around the community in PA and in the parks we always go to.

Anyone else with tips on that throttle thing. IVe seen numerous people who were messing around accidentally fall back a little forcing their wrist to twist the throttle open. ive even seen it done on a pw80. so are there any tricks. It seems like this same situation would also occur when u do wheelies cause doesnt your weight kinda fall back?

Old 10-22-2003, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

Second the ktm 300 exc comment, run like a open class bike, but lug down like a 4 -sstroke in the rough.

As for the 250F vs quads, it should, with a proper rider on board, beat a stock predator, raptor, and EASILY a 400 EX, the horsepower is really close, but it weighs a whole lot less.

Ron

Old 10-22-2003, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

alright i guess i pretty much made up my mind which dirtbike to get if i get one. Thanks for all your help.

I was wondering if anyone else can give me some pointers. like some technique and stuff. FOR mx or just regular riding. and if theres any more tricks to that throttle thing. thanks again.

Old 10-22-2003, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer

The only time I have experienced cranking on the throttle while leaning back was when I lose my balance or kind of fall of the back a little...Just pull in the clutch and the front end comes right back down. Just pay attention to what is in front of you while getting the front end light and you should be OK. Every time I have done it, the rock or root that I didn't see bumped the front end and my knees kind of buckled. And the only tip I can give you to become better is ride a lot and get use to everything.

Quick Reply: ? to all dirtbikers