Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

? to all dirtbikers

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? to all dirtbikers

KTMGuy, how do you like your KTM 200 EXC? The 300 EXC and all of the KTM EXC bikes are SWEET! If you want a VERY dependable 2 stroke go with a KTM 300 EXC this motor is literally BULLET PROOF!

KTMGuy, I've been thinking about buying the 200 EXC for the last few months. I want one for quick and tight trails. Will I be dissapointed with the power vs the 300 EXC? I've also been told there powerband is high, while the 300 EXC has power all across the board.

Get yourself a REAL Enduro bike and go with the KTM!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

ok so pull in the clutch. That helps. But is there any way to prevent you from turning it in the first place? If you fall back that is.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

"KTMGuy, how do you like your KTM 200 EXC? The 300 EXC and all of the KTM EXC bikes are SWEET! If you want a VERY dependable 2 stroke go with a KTM 300 EXC this motor is literally BULLET PROOF!

KTMGuy, I've been thinking about buying the 200 EXC for the last few months. I want one for quick and tight trails. Will I be dissapointed with the power vs the 300 EXC? I've also been told there powerband is high, while the 300 EXC has power all across the board."

I had a 300, and Loved it, your right, power every where. I put on an FMF gnarly and livened it up even more. I sold the 300 after I got the 200 ( actually had both for a while). But didnt need the 300 and a 520. The 200 is an excellent bike, really its just a TAD slower than a 250 motocross , but in the woods its great . you dont want explosive power in the woods, so it comes with the weighted flywheel just like the big boys. I really dont think it belongs in a 200 class, Its light years above bikes like kdx 200 and wr250f in terms of power spread, suspension and build quality.
its great in tight woods, but dont get me wrong it will flat out haul when you want it too, all and all a very suprising bike.. and its LIGHT.
My only KTM complaint is price of parts, WHen I jet my carb, Im paying 30.00 for a needle jet.
Edited to say: The powerband is good and wide with the little 200, just understand, the smaller the bore, the higher up the rpm range the torque spread goes..Dont get on it and expect it to be a 300, its not, but it really does an excellent job and will hang with the 300 easily in the woods where the 300 cant really stretch its legs.. If you want more of a low rpm hit, a GNARLY pipe works nicely with nothing more than rejetting the pipe.

Anywhoo, thats my 2 cents

Ron

Old 10-23-2003, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

can any of you guys reccomend a good forum for dirtbiking?

Old 10-24-2003, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: warrior86
can any of you guys reccomend a good forum for dirtbiking?
www.thumpertalk.com

BTW: How tall/big are you warrior86?

Old 10-24-2003, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

The 450 is not designed as a playbike...
Define "play"

...it doesnt do well being ridden lightly
Not true - I putt behind my 5y/o boy all the time on my 450.

This should not be someones first bike.
An extremely subjective statement. The modern MX 4s are very nice bikes. Funny thing is KTMguy, the only 2-smoke I would ever want (and nearly purchased) would be the 250sx - sweet bike. You don't foul plugs on 4s from putting around. You may need to play w/ gearing if you want to ride trails er something though.

My opinion, is start with something tamer, yet fun and torquey, if your SET on getting something in the 400 cc class, go with an XR 400...
The 400 is a tank in comparision to the CRF450R.

Anyone capable of controling themselves w/ a machine deserving respect can ride the 450R. But if warrior86 is a 130lb 15y/o dude, I would suggest a 250/4. If he can ride the hell out of his Raptor, I'd dare say he could handle a big bike. Even if he does get tossed off the back, those don't hurt (usually) and they're a great learning experience.

I hope I don't come across as argumentative, but I concluded that he (warrior86) wanted an MX bike. He sounds as if he's of a physical and mental disposition to handle at least a 250/4. The "start on something small" bit is generally good advise, but not always required.

Old 10-24-2003, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

"ic ic. I thought you were supposed to drop your inside leg on a turn on a dirtbike. I thought thats what i always saw jeremy do on tv. I didnt mean that you use the dropped leg to help you skid, but more to just make sure the skid stays controlled and keep you from falling if you lose it a bit. I probably should get a smaller one but it such a pain in the **** to just keep buying and selling vehicles.

And i know when you feel yourself falling back to twist your wrist forward...but isnt that kinda impossible when your falling back and all the weight of your body falling backwards in holding on to those grips in kinda the opposite direction? "

In this post, to me anyway, It sounds as though he isnt that experienced, and its great hes asking questions< but the 450 accelerates as hard as ( and harder than some) a 250 2-stroke. knowing HOW to control the throttle is very Important, so is body english, etc..
Eventually he will learn the finer points of when to slip the clutch a tad to keep the rpms up and keep from downshifting, etc...BUT its just my opinion that someone who is asking about throttle control and body english shouldnt be riding the 450.
By play bike, I mean its not the best choice to LEARN on and just put-put around on, you an do it, but its not the bikes strong point, it responds best when ridden hard.
and for a Large bore 4-stroke it doesnt offer a whole lot of torque. I said the XR because it is a very FORGIVING bike.. meaning that if you make a mistake , its not as likely to bite you. If you choose a wrong gear. its more likely to just torque out of the situation do to its gearing, and wide powerband over the admittedly way faster, way lighter, but way narrower powerband of the 450.
I can ride My son on ( and have many times ) on my 520, even my cr 500's can go slow, and actually make a great woods bike. Thats Just not their intended use. Theres also more to bike wrecks than simply "falling off the back".. Theres running into other bikes and people at 60 mph, theres misjudging the double and face planting into the face of a jump and breaking bones..
I understand your not trying to be argumentitive, and I see your point also, Im just trying to give an opinion too, and thats all it is, My opinion.

Ron

Old 10-24-2003, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

lol scary i have a cr 125 and it if all aftermarket it goes 102.3 mph on dirt and about 93.7 in the sand and you have to hang on speed wables suck badly but when you hite the power band the front end pops up when ever you reach the power band lol.

Old 10-25-2003, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I love my yz250F. Best bike I've ever owned.

Old 10-25-2003, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer

I dont wanna be like those people that never rode a quad or anything for that matter and go and buy a raptor and kill themselves,
I dont know, I had only ridden my dads 185 3 wheeler a time or two, and bought a new raptor. I have had it a year and a half, and not crashed yet. In all fairness, I have over twenty five years on Harleys, some very high horsepower. I also have my pilots license. Most people that do both, ride motorcycles and fly, will tell you that flying and motorcycles are similar in the thinking, dexterity, and situational awareness needed to be good, and safe. I try not to get in over my head in either one of the sports, but I have managed to scare myself both flying aerobatics, and on the Raptor, and a strong stroker Harley has to be ridden to be believed. They are kind of like a massaged big block Drag race car.

As Clint Eastwood says: " A man has to know his limitations." If you don't, you are flirting with disaster.

Be carefull, and enjoy.
Ron

Quick Reply: ? to all dirtbikers