Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660

Hello everyone,

I need some feedback from all the Grizzly owners out there. There are 2 machines that I'm considering purcasing. The 2004 Yamaha Grizzly or Honda Rincon. Can you tell me how the overall power is of the Grizzly? My type of riding will be fast paced trails, hill climbs and some tight trail riding. Does it have good low end power?

The Prairie had to be sold due to hardship but I'm on my feet again and looking to purchase a different machine in the very near future.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

IronBear [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-21-2003, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Well bear, here's my take.

We have two grizzly 660's (one 2003 & one 2004). I wouldn't trade anything for these bikes. I love the feel of the ride and the awesome power. We took them to the dunes this weekend and I pull started five seperate VW buggies. I was the hero of the dunes. Gave me a pretty big head. On the flip side, a friend of mine just bought three rincons for his brothers and himself. I hate those bikes. To me, it has that same old "body floats around on the chassis" feel that all honda's do. They also seem a bit down on power. Also, I have heard some horror stories about the rincon transmissions timebombing. I can't confirm any of these stories but I have heard it enough that I would definitely check into it if I were looking at the possibility of buying one. (and don't believe everything the guys in the Honda forum will tell you either) To me, I have ridden about every utility out there and the grizzly stands in a class by itself. It's fast, agile, comfortable, and has power to spare. And if you are in to hopping it up, the fact that it shares the same topend as the raptor leaves almost endless possibilities for modification. If I had to pick another big bore utility (having ridden each of these: polaris 700, Rincon 650, Grizzly 660, Kawasaki 700) I would have to go with another grizzly. Hope this helps out.

~HoundDog

Old 10-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Banned

Hi HoundDog6,

Thank you for your reply. I'm not a biased person by far. I owned Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki ATV's. This is what I'm looking for in an ATV:

1) Low end torque - To me, this is very important because I do hill climbs and fast trail riding.
2) Ride quality - Nice for fast trail riding. I do not ride where there is alot of mud so that is not an issue with me. The differential lock is a
big plus though.
3) Reliability - This means alot to me.

You have a point about the Raptor engine. I never thought about modifications. This is a plus. The most I would do to it is probably a jet kit and a aftermarket exhaust, along with new tires.

Thank you for your information.

Old 10-21-2003, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

i bought a 04 grizzly 660 and i wouldnt trade it for anything,it has nearlly a foot of ground clearence,diff lock thats a BIG PLUS,an accual front brake so when you need to back down a hill you can use the front tires instead of the back,the seat is very comfotable.I bought a 99 yamaha beartracker and when your ready to ride its ready to go.never had to do anything to it.

Old 10-23-2003, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Ironbear~

You would not be disappointed in the Grizzly. Mine has treated me so well, I ordered an 04 LE Metallic Red for my wife. And...as hounddog pointed out, by virtue of sharing the same engine design, what goodies folks do to their raptors, you can do to your grizz. I can personally vouch for that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Good luck in your decision.

SilverBear

Old 10-23-2003, 09:57 AM
Banned

Hi SilverBear,

Thank you for your input. I must say, you have a very nice looking machine and I especially liked the wheels. Like you, I'm also very **** when it comes to my ATV. I'm also impressed at the way your web site was designed.

To me, it's also important to have the reverse override switch. I liked that feature on my Prairie.

IronBear..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

Ironbear~

You're very welcome. If there any any specific questions regarding the grizzly you have, I would be happy to answer them for you. <LOL> So it's apparent that I'm **** about my quad. Guilty as charged. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thank you for the kind words.

SilverBear

Old 10-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Banned

SilverBear,

Those are the words you used when describing on how to hookup an override switch for reverse..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have yet to ride a Grizzly but I did own a Raptor at one time. There are a few guys in my club who own Grizzly's, I'm sure they wouldn't mind me taking one for a test ride.

Thanks again,

Old 10-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

silverbear, where did you find your heat shrink wrap? I have had some trouble getting ahold of much in any kind of length.

~HoundDog

Old 10-23-2003, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Houndog~

I pick my heat shrink up at the local hardware store, Home Depot. The only place I've found that I can get decent lengths, various diameters, and not cost a small fortune. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] BTW..very cool picks in your alblum!

SilverBear