Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak clutch full of mud!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak clutch full of mud!!

Good friend took this thing swimmin in a soup bowl that would have made a septic tank look clean. Needless to say he came through ok but the bike quit pulling due to belt slippage. Once we got him home we pulled the cover off and cleaned everything out with the pressure washer, scuffed up the belt and burnished the clutch plates and now all's good.

Cut foam material and put in place at both the intake and exhaust snorkel to the belt to stop the mud from getting where it shouldn't. Not too worried about the water as it can be dried out but the mud is another story. Will the filters we put in place do the trick or should we try something else. Going back to the same place again this weekend and don't want a repeat.

By the way, it's amazing what this little feller will go through when it has to.

Old 10-22-2003, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak clutch full of mud!!

One thing to consider: How much does the foam slow down the air flow? To much restriction could lead to high belt tempreatures. Hey, the Kodiak is easy to snorkle. Do a search for a member named KisssofDeath. He has links to his pics that shows the easiest way to do them. If you plan on doing that alot you need to snorkle other things too: The differential vent tubes, carb vent tube, fan vent tube, and crankcase breather. You might want to check your differentials for contamination just to be safe.

Also, there is alot of good information on Highlifter.com about snorkleing the Kodiak. Lots of pics of different designs, carb jetting, etc. Snorkleing isnt mandatory but its a nice thing when going deep. I should have pictures of my Kodiak snorkle soon. ( I bought KisssofDeaths snorkles and I am slightly modifing the rear snorkle so I can use a pad on the rear rack).