Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why double?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 02:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why double?

I went to Royal Blue yesterday and hooked up with two couples between 40-45 years old
with two quads between them, I thought it was illegal double on a quad in TN.
Anywho, they were on some fairly difficult terrain(20-30, degree uphill, narrow, rocky and winding
with large rocks intermitten thoughout) I decided to follow up the group so I wouldnt throw
rocks at them with my tires. 2/3 of the way up, the couple on the quad in front of me centered A large rock with his left front tire and stopped in a very bad spot. I saw what was happening, and backed up a few yards set my parking brake and watched as they tried to back off the rock he was on, needless to say lost control and flipped over.
luckily I was there to roll there quad off them, they were wearing helmets(thank goodness)
so they didnt have any major injuries aside from scrapes and bruises.
But I couldnt believe they were doubling in the first place especially on that terrain!

Am I crazy or is doubling on a quad just a bad idea?

Old 10-26-2003, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Why double?

Personally I hate doubling on a quad also. I don't see the point in it. Its damn near impossible to ride aggressive with someone on the quad with you, I don't get the whole doubling thing either.

Old 10-26-2003, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why double?

I asked the Windrock ATV Club the same question (I am a dues paying member, in good standing)....... and promptly got booted off their forum for "daring" to bring the subject up.........

Ask the ATVA why they don't get involved with actively lobbying (being such "safety purists") for helmet use on that same vast piece of property...............

It's "hypocrisy"......plain and simple.

Throw in the revenue that these dumba$$es spend everyday teaching their children and every kid in eyesight how to be an ignorant accident waiting to happen.........and you've got yourself an atv club money machine and the biggest riding area on the east coast!

Sickening. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2003, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why double?

i ride as hard as i do when my friend is on the back of my warrior when im not riding with him on the back...i went off a jump and he did a nothing while i did a no footer..kinda cool....but he was scared to death..

lol..for real...but now i dunno why he doesnt wanna ride on the back of my quad anymore..

Old 10-26-2003, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Why double?

warriors suck JACKAZZ

Old 10-26-2003, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why double?

and a breeze is better? Anyways I dont like to double but when i broke down this weekend i had to hide the raptor in bush about 1 mile away from camp and ride with 2 freinds back up to camp YES A TRIPLE ON A DS 650 BAJA...... I know its stupid but sometimes you have to do stuff. I WOULD never Double on a steep hill its just stupid

Travis

Old 10-27-2003, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why double?

I double. I know I'm going to catch alot of he!! for telling that but whats the difference carrying a 115 lb girl or 115 lb on my rack (within the recomended carrying limit)? I do watch where I go and stick to the easier trails. If it gets to rough I just let her walk thru that section. No I can't ride as hard with her on the back. I do usually turn the pre-load up a notch on my rear shock and try to balance by putting every thing else I'm carrying on the front rack. I don't see it being so unsafe as to knock her out of the fun of riding just because she can't afford 2-3-4-5000 for her own machine.

Old 10-27-2003, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why double?

Shasta.

You are not going to catch hell from anybody if the biggest atv organization in this country won't tackle this problem because they are deathly afraid someone will bring up the dreaded "helmet" issue also (see Windrock).

I guess my question to you would be........do people who seriously injure or kill their passengers on atvs really ever get over it..........or do they meet those folk's parents on the street later, with a "new" girlfriend/spouse on their arm and the attitude of........."sorry about your luck; it was an ACCIDENT"............. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2003, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why double?

I see your point there BlackBalled. It would be hard to get over if I injured someone that way. But I don't see doubling as an automatic accident. riding atvs is not an absolutely safe sport. There are risks involved in anything. I think doubling can be dangerous but I think it can be done fairly safely also. People need to take responsibility for their own actions, accept that there are risks to riding, use their head a little and not blame every thing on atvs.

Old 10-27-2003, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why double?

Went to a local track\riding area yesterday and saw to young boys maybe 13 years old riding a Grizz 660 hauling a$$ around the mx track. I told my riding buddy they are going to get hurt or the the guy on the back is coming off. Nothing happened but the whole time i am thinking where is these kids parents.

Quick Reply: Why double?