Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster for a sport bike rider?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster for a sport bike rider?

Hi. I ride a Honda CBR600F4i and now I plan on getting a quad also. I been really interested in the 03-04 Yamaha Blasters mainly because of the low price and 3.9% interest rate that Yamaha is offering. I am 21 years old, weigh 150 lbs and about 5'9" for my height. My question is, will this quad be too small and underpowered for me? I know it wont compare to the sportbike, i just dont want it to be painfully slow. I dont plan on racing people or going up huge dunes that are straight up or do dumb things, ok maybe try some whelies[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Just want to ride around in the desert, i usually go to Borrego.

Another question, do these quads have the power to bring the front wheels off the ground just by hitting the throttle, or would you need to clutch it to bring them up? Thanks

Old 10-29-2003, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

I would say going from a sport bike to a quad, anything would be under powered. But i'm not big into sport quads, i'm working on buying on though.

Old 10-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

I dont think you'll be happy with a blaster. My brother is a street bike rider also (03 R1) and he said my banshee seems like a slow go cart. I doubt highly you'd be satisfied with a blaster. Instead, you should take a $3000 loan or so out from the bank and buy a used banshee from ebay. It will be much better. You can get a fairly new banshee from ebay for that price, and it will suit you much better. Blasters, sadly, are painfully slow. Lol. Oh and if you want to ride around the desert, the banshee is the king. Also, the blaster is really more of a kids quad. Sure, some people will mod them to make them much faster, but most of the time they are not even faster than a stock banshee.

Either way, good luck with your choice. Im see you will be pleased with any quad you get.

-Nick

Old 10-29-2003, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

just buy a shee. once you get started in riding quads you will want to race other quads and make your quad faster. blasters are good for casual desert riding though and if you want to buy an inexpensive quad new, the blaster would probably be the way to go. It is the best bang for the buck out there.

Old 10-30-2003, 02:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all your replies. You guys are recommending a Banshee, but those are twice the price of the Blaster and mixing the oil with the gas seems very annoying and troublesome. I have a Yamaha Zuma scooter and I really like the oil reservoir tank that it uses to mix the oil and it seems to me it will be just as good on the Blaster, I've never had any problems with it.

I'm also skeptical about buying a used quad, especially if it is a 2 stroke. I guess you just don't know what the previous owner has done to it or if the engine is in perfect running order?

Old 10-30-2003, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

Eric... I ride a 12R, the wife figure rides a 636. I don't think the blaster is going to fill your need for speed. Save your $$$ and get the shee IMHO. While I don't own either, I've ridden both. The shee, in the meat of the powerband, will give you that adrenaline red line you have on the F4i. I think you will be wanting more with the blaster. Don't sweat the pre-mix thing. Get a 5 gal. container and pre-mix right before each ride. Fresh gas is good gas when riding 2 strokes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Scott W.

Old 10-30-2003, 02:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

What do you think about the Warrior? I just want to spend the least possible, haha I know, I'm cheap[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-30-2003, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider

Get it used man! Buying new really doesnt have any benefits. Just make sure to check compression, bearings, and bushings out on the used quad. Most people (note I say most) are very honest with what they are selling. I got my banshee for a whole 1700 bucks, and its NEVER EVER given me trouble, and its much faster than a new banshee. If you didnt know, the banshee hasent been changed at all since its been made(1987) . So a new or older one will be the same. And with a used one, it will come with the mods you probably would have bought for your new, stock, one. Like pipes, jets, filter, the usual. Honestly, it would be in your best interest to buy a used banshee. Check out ebay for them, they always have killer deals. You can get a 2000 and newer for under 3000.

Really, you are going to be unhappy with a warrior (slower than the blaster) or a blaster...

-Nick

Old 10-30-2003, 08:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

You should check into the warrior, I've ridden one quite a bit, power's good, not head jerking but better than the blaster, it's reliable and it's really fun to ride.

Old 10-30-2003, 09:18 AM
Trailblazer

going from a crotch rocket to a blaster is gonna completely change you perspective of night and day. Like everyone else said the blaster will feel underpowered, extremely underpowered.. my best suggestion to you would be to look for something used.. if you play your cards right you might be able to find a bigger & faster quad for about the same price...

Quick Reply: Blaster for a sport bike rider?