Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best Trail Tire For Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Trail Tire For Raptor?

I am going to be purchasing some new tires pretty soon. I ride trails alot and really like the hook up of the stock tires, but I can't bring myself to buying another set of "stock" tires. I know alot of people run razr 2's. I have never had a problem with puncturing the stock tires and I really don't want a heavy six ply tire. I do not want to sacrifice straight line hook-up at all for better turning. It slides good enough for me with the stock ones but I want something other than the stockers. Also who makes the bead lock rims with the blue ring? I have seen those, they look pretty cool. Any suggestions on the trail tire?

Old 10-31-2003, 12:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I would recommend rear Bandits....they hook as good as the stockers and slide way better....work well in the wet stuff too. Stay away from the fronts.

Old 10-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

I have the kenda knarly's.

They flat hook up, they are light like the stockers and 6 ply. Dimensions on a 20" are very close to stock aswell. The lugs are deep and tuff and show very little wear after 4-5 rides so far just dont excpect the fansy lettering on the side to last one ride.

Never had any luck with bandits, front or rear. I think they may have changed them since I had them 3-4 years ago but they sucked, wouldnt clean out well, very heavy and leaked air around the bead for me.

Old 10-31-2003, 12:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Well if you were up here, I would suggest holeshot XCT, the trails are pretty knarly, rocks and roots and such, but because your'e down in the lowland something in the line of Bandits would work fine.
How's the riding down there, I was born and raised and spent 25 yrs in South Texas, before quads were around, we just rode dirt bikes on private land.

Old 10-31-2003, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

6 Ply (but soft lugs) Kenda Klaw XCR's!
Excellent traction, even on rocky mountain sides! Been to Big Rock???

Old 10-31-2003, 01:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I ride in East Texas on Lake Sam Rayburn in the Angelina National Forest. The trails are awesome. The trials I ride on are a mix of red dirt (clay colored) and sand. The trails are not rocky and most of them are pretty fast. I hit 4th hear on some of them. We used to be able to ride on more trails than we can ride on now, but the endangered wood pecker seems to be more important. It is a National Forest so the Ranger Rick Park Rangers closed some of the trails. The put up yellow signs with a picture of the woodpecker so I am told, they only look like a yellow blur going by me. Since the trails are not barracaded off I still ride on them if I want to. There is still plenty of trails you can ride on.

Old 10-31-2003, 03:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Ah yes, I remember the red dirt of East Texas well, that's some real pretty countryside there.

Trending Topics

Old 10-31-2003, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

I would recommend rear Bandits....they hook as good as the stockers and slide way better....work well in the wet stuff too. Stay away from the fronts.
Why would you not recommend the front bandits?

Old 11-01-2003, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

I would recommend the kenda knarly. I only have about 5 hours on them so far so good.

Old 11-01-2003, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

I use the front bandits in rocky desert riding and have found them to be a good tire. One complaint is that the tire geometry has a fairly abrubt angle transitioning from the tread area to sidewall which doesnt produce sidewall grab as say the holeshots with treads on a larger radius to sidewall. I use the 6 ply bandit rears and they are durable and hook up great.

Quick Reply: Best Trail Tire For Raptor?