Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Riding double....

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding double....

Is it illegal or just a manufacturer’s recommendation?

Old 11-04-2003, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

It is just one of those things that the manufacturers have to put on their ATVs because a lot of people are born without common sense...

Old 11-04-2003, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

i haven't heard of anyone getting trouble for it but unless it can't be avoided i wouldn't. it just gives the bleeding hart tree hugging liberals more ammo. i did hear a rumor of two pre-teen boys getting in trouble for riding four wheelers larger than their age was suppose to. they weren't arrested but just taken home and they had to take a riders safety course, like i said i've just heard the story and don't know the kids. their have been several hurt around here and a few killed while ridin double. my wife does medical transcription and she is always doing reports of people being hurt while riding double. this just gives them more fuel. they like to turn it around and say four wheelers are unsafe because these people get hurt even though it is usually because they were riding double and not paying attention, not relizing their limits and sometimes just a little drunk, like falling off the quad while it was stopped. if you do ride double just take it easy and remember the whole balance thing has changed, and make sure the passenger holds on. a 14 year old girl was killed a few years ago while riding on back of a four wheeler. her and her boyfriend were riding with a group of friends and drinking (bad combination). they were in front of the other riders and going pretty fast and she was holding her hands in the air playing. they hit a berm and it threw her off. two of the other four wheeler behind them could not stop in time, large 4x4s. they ran over her and she died while being airlifted to shreveport. that whole accident was just waiting to happen. main thing is be careful, know your limits and know they have changed with an additional rider and use your brain. i think some riders forget what that helmet is protecting. sorry to have just carried on.

Old 11-04-2003, 02:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks for that. I'm a big guy and don't ride double with other adults or teens. I do like to ride my 4-year old girl in front of me sometimes. Might sound unsafe but it really isn't. She has her own helmet and we never leave 2nd gear and we don't ride around other people like that. By her sitting in front of me she holds onto the top of the seat and I can secure her with my knees. I only do this on the Warrior, not the Raptor. I think turtles could pass us but she likes it and I can't deny her of a little fun. In couple of years she'll be able to ride her own.....Raptor 50 maybe? Anyway common sence is always a factor, I just wasn't sure of the legality.

Old 11-04-2003, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RhinoOffRoad
Originally posted by: TexasPsychoit just gives the bleeding hart tree hugging liberals more ammo.
if you change the things you do in order to please the tree hugging liberals, they have won.
indeed.. sad but true

I don't see anything wrong with riding double on a 4x4 on a slow trail ride. Dont' really have aproblem any other time. Alot of times, me and the wife will ride double on the Grizz and let someone else ride the Raptor if need be (like this weekend when D wrecked his Shee)

Know YOUR limitations, not what some group of bleeding heart scum sucking liberals thinks is best for you

Old 11-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer

lets change so words around
more ammo to use on the tree huggers
my preferce a shotty

Old 11-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

sorry some insted of so