Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What should i look for in a used Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 02:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should i look for in a used Raptor

After working out my budget it would be hard to fit a new raptor in with all the other "dam bills"... So i will settle for a used one...
I know to stay away from the 01s cause of their tranny, What things should i look out for, and what should i check on it?" Dont want to get ripped" Also what is a good price for a used one?

Thanks
Trailrider

Old 11-09-2003, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider

I would say just your normal stuff. See if its been being maintained. Oil, airfilter, chain and sprockets, dents or smash's in the skid plates, general appearance. Does it look like its been rolled. Just the obvious things. I really can't think of anything technical. If they are claiming things, make sure its accurate. Like, "low hours" Well, is it still wearing its stock tires, and if so, how bad do they look. Things to that nature.
Ride it and make sure it runs fine, transmission isnt doing anything goofy, clutch isnt slipping, brakes arnt grinding.
Other then those really general things, I cant tell ya! Good luck, hope you find one in good shape. Wish you where a little closer, I have a nice 2003 with about 20 hours on it. Though, I am still wondering if I want to hang on to it?

Old 11-09-2003, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

What are you lookin to get out of your 03?

Old 11-09-2003, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

You know, I havnt put much thought into it. Having them bring the price down on the bran new ones didnt help me out at all.
I have full gytr skidplates and yamaha shock covers on it. Its still wearing its original tires, with good life on them. I mean, I wish I had done more to it, before buying my yfz, but I was still breaking it in. Didnt really want to put any performance mods on it till it had atleast 20 hours on it. It just had its second oil change and is all ready to go. Now I just have to decide if I am actually going to get rid of it.

Old 11-09-2003, 03:23 AM
Trailblazer

Hey 135boom, we should meet up sometime! I just bought a 04 raptor aout a month ago. I not from around here so I really don't know where to ride. I go out to the ORV park, its called 7 mile I think. It gets kinda boring out there tho.

Old 11-09-2003, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, totally. I'll show you some awesome places to go! Where abouts do you live. I'm out in the valley, and am stationed out at fairchild AFB. It's a little cold right now, but, if it warms up just a tad I am up for riding.

Old 11-09-2003, 03:44 AM
Trailblazer

Ya me to! I work in CE. Ya its been too damn cool to ride. I only have 8hrs on it, right now so I dying to go. I'm working midnights now so I can go anytime during the week. Its funny the 1st day I took my quad out to the ORV park I met another guy from the base that bought the same quad I did. He works over by base-ops somewhere.

Old 11-09-2003, 03:54 AM
Pro Rider

huh, thats funny! Small world. Hey, did you buy your quad at Spokane Yamaha? I remember, not to long ago, a couple of those limited raptors being sold. I was actually in the back when my bro (the service manager) was showing the guy how everything works. It was probably one of you!
Hey, are you at work right now?

Old 11-09-2003, 04:23 AM
Trailblazer

Ya I bought it down there, crazy. No I'm not working now, I work Sun-Thur

Old 11-09-2003, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

i wouldnt rule out the 01' just because of the tranny ! you can buy the 01' a lot cheaper and you can do the 02' tranny upgrade for 400-500 i think!

Quick Reply: What should i look for in a used Raptor