Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Torque stuffer vs. a powerbomb header

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 02:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque stuffer vs. a powerbomb header

which is better?? on a warrior BTW.... the main diff here is the price well over a $120 diff... a guy i know had a race warrior and he said that he wouldnt waste his money on a hi-flow header because the stock header pipe on a warrior is about as big as it gets.... but he said that there is a peice u can buy called a torque stuffer that inserts at the header flange and increases back pressure and he said there should be a noticable diff

but how do one of these compare to a FmF powerbomb header???? has anyone ever try'd one of these stuffers???

i found a new one on ebay new.. at $20.50 now lil over day left.. cheap if they do what there supposed too??

Old 11-11-2003, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

If you have information about it, I would love to have a look at it. Exhaust pipes are very tricky. Its not always about size of the pipes. To big a pipe can harm HP output. For the best HP you have to tune the exhaust pipe to work with your bike. Doing so takes time and lots of trail and error. Some exhaust guys get it close, but not 100% perfect. The reason for it, is that not all pikes are the same. They are all different and when you add aftermarket stuff to it, it even gets more tricky.

Ok... to make a long story short. Back pressure is a good thing, but only tends to help at lower RPM. To little back pressure is bad for low RPM power. So you have to find a balance or accept the trade of between low or high RPM power. To much back pressure is also bad, so like I said its is very tricky.

The powerbomb header is suppose to change the flow of the exhaust gases, by letting them expand sooner and then compacting them again. It will also play with the acoustics inside the pipe, because it looks very similar to a baffle, meaning it reduces the sound and shockwaves in the pipe. I don't think it introduces more back pressure, but they claim it helps to sort out the flow of gasses. Not sure where it adds more power in the RPM range. To get some idea ill need specifications on your bike, like compression, cam profile... exhaust opening size and so on.

Comparing these types of pipes to other normal free flow pipes, I hardly see where they make the difference. So it could be a bit of a empty promise... or it only works in a very small RPM range. Some pipes will effect torque and very little on HP, so you need to check both torque and HP readings before you decide which one is best.

Old 11-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

I've been told the same about the stock Warrior header pipe. It's fine until you start building your engine beyond the 435cc mark. I'm not sure where the cutoff point is for realizing performance out of the stock pipe, but 435cc rings a bell.

I've heard the term Torqe stuffer thrown about lately. Does anyone have a web site / manufacturer's link for this product? I'd like to look into that myself.

Old 11-11-2003, 12:19 PM
Range Rover

The torque stuffer is essentially a metal reducer that fits in the headpipe, restricting airflow. In very basic terms, larger exhaust (and intake for that matter) pipes reduce low end torque, improve top end. So by reducing flow, the torque stuffer increases backpressure increasing torque, but theoretically should hurt top end. I didn't get one, as I feel the Warrior has more than enough torque. I would be willing to sacrifice some of its torque to get a little more top end, and the torque stuffer does just the opposite.

Colby

Old 11-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Trailblazer

Torque stuffer

Old 11-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Colby
The torque stuffer is essentially a metal reducer that fits in the headpipe, restricting airflow. In very basic terms, larger exhaust (and intake for that matter) pipes reduce low end torque, improve top end. So by reducing flow, the torque stuffer increases backpressure increasing torque, but theoretically should hurt top end. I didn't get one, as I feel the Warrior has more than enough torque. I would be willing to sacrifice some of its torque to get a little more top end, and the torque stuffer does just the opposite.

Colby
The warrior is nice and torquy on the low end, but it's not pulling my arms out to hold on or anything .. not enough yet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'd like a bit more jazz so I don't have to dislocate my arms trying to haul the front end up during wheelies [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Maybe I just need more practice LOL

Cotton:

Thanks for the pic of the stuffer .. I like the pics of your warrior .. how do you find the all trac tires? They look like they have pretty wicked traction [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2003, 04:19 PM
Range Rover

Interesting comment. If you are looking for more power to help w/ wheelies, what is better..top end or torque?

Sure enough, torque will lift that front end up right off the bat, but if your quad chokes on the top end, you won't be able to sustain the wheelie. I think for wheelies I'd prefer top end. My Shee is a perfect example. NO bottom end, but when the top end kicks in, the front end comes up and stays up.

Colby

Old 11-12-2003, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

Where does this torque suffer goes? back of the muffler?

Old 11-12-2003, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

It goes in the header pipe back at the head

Old 11-12-2003, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

This very much look like a venturi. Air will actually speed up when flowing thru it. If dome correctly it will help to "suck" the exhaust gases out of the head. I am worried that at very high RPM this will become a restriction, but again, it all depends on the design. If done correctly if might not reduce high RPM power. The best is to get dyno results form before and after this thing have been fitted. See where it changes torque and HP readings.

Quick Reply: Torque stuffer vs. a powerbomb header