Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine vs anything else

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine vs anything else

After reading extensive threads and doing research, I am looking for opinions from owners about the wolvy as well as similar 4x4's. I would like to be able to switch on and out of 4x and would like to have good pulling power, and still have fun on the trails. Being that this is a Yamaha section I expect positive wolvy response, just wondering if there is a strong competitor out there I should also consider. I want to purchase one soon. I would prefer a nice used one, but will go with new if I have to. Thanks for your help. This is a great tool for prospective buyers

Old 11-11-2003, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Unless I'm mistaken, for the ability to shift in and out of 4wd on the wolfy you'll have to buy an unlocker. Otherwise I've heard lots of good things about the wolvy. The only general negative comment is more for the utility side and that is that 1st gear is a bit too high for heavy work.

Old 11-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

The only other machine I could suggest if you're looking at this size 4x4 is the Rancher. A lot of people have them and I've never heard one bad thing about them. They have a lot of pep for a 350, while not quite as much as the Wolvy, but they work and mud better than a Wolverine and are more reliable.

Old 11-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I am getting some response that a scrambler 500 would be better than a wolverine. I cannot seem to find a lot of feedback on the scrambler. Any input on that one?

Old 11-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

What else do you want to know about it?

Old 11-11-2003, 05:29 PM
Trailblazer

Well first and foremost I don't want to regret my purchase. I do hear a lot of positive feedback on the Hondas being 'bulletproof' so to speak and I have ridden only yamahas owned by friends so my knowledge is limited and I want to make an informed purchase. I guess I could aske for a rating scale on the following. and how would you rank them

Wovlerine
Scrambler
Rancher
Prairie
Rincon
Recon
etc

Old 11-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

1. Scrambler........first definitely, don't let a lot of people tell you they're unreliable, because my bro's has been put through hell and still runs like new. (MX track, rolled over, mud, trails)

2. Rincon.....The Rincon is nice. Don't know much about them though. Some people say they don't have as much power as they should, but hey, it's still a Honda, it can't be very bad.

3. Prairie...... I don't know which Prairie you're talking about, but if you mean the 360, they are pretty underpowered and have a flimsy frame. The 700 is fast as hell, but also very bulky, I would still take the Scrambler over it.

4. Rancher......I would go with the Rancher over the Wolverine for the reliability and workability. Neither of them are TOO powerful but they are both plenty enough to have a lot of fun on.

5. Wolverine......It's alright, it's got the same engine as the Warrior, and trust me it isn't that powerful in the Warrior, so it's going to be less impressive in the Wolverine. They are excellent trail and climbing quads, but I've only seen 3 of them and two of them broke down at the place we went riding.

6. I wouldn't look into any of the 250's like the Recon if you have the money for something better or unless you want one as a backup.

One more suggestion, if you want one with switchable 4x4, enough racks to carry a lot of stuff, and for some reason don't like the Scrambler at all, look at a Kodiak 450, they have a lot of power and are fairly nimple except for turning on downward slopes.

Old 11-11-2003, 05:52 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you very much Trailbreaker.
That is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. Good solid reviews without being too biased by any one brand. I had a dealer tell me about the bombadier outlander.....Any thoughts on this model?

Old 11-11-2003, 06:19 PM
Trailblazer

Please anyone else can chime in. Biased opinion or not....

Old 11-11-2003, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

You wont go wrong getting a Wolverine, Ranchers are too slow, and Scramblers are faster then Wolverines but too heavy and handle like bricks. Rincons are nice but I dont like big bikes so thats why I dont like them. They say that they arent that impressive for the size of engine that is in them, atleast from what Ive heard. Prairies are nice, they are powerful and handle good for their size, but I think the Wolverine is the most fun of all of them. For the price you pay for a Wolverine you can put a Warn 424 Select on it for about $250 and other upgrades to make it meet you needs. My advice to you is to test one out and see what you think about it. Its one of the best selling bikes around so that should tell you someting.

Quick Reply: Wolverine vs anything else