Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP: yfz wont start with yz exhaust cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: yfz wont start with yz exhaust cam

Originally posted by: Yamaha660R
I don't know what to tell you. I don't know too much about the YFZ, but I know that the cam mod is bad, that's why I pointed that out.

if you dont know squat about the YFZ than why would you reply?

Mine runs fine with the cam mod. Ive never heard from ANY reliable source that the cams are ANY different as far as lift and duration, the decomp pin is moved .... but I hear more guys running the YZ cam complaining about hard starting than the stock YFZ cam retarded a tooth.

Old 11-24-2003, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RPyfz450
135boom, for your benefit...

I'm using the e-starter on mine and the cam mod seemed to make little or no difference. A lot of the times engines are hard to start because they're pilot jet is too lean. Starting generally takes a richer mixure to be successful. I can tell you my ATV probably cranks over 5 times at maximum before it starts up. This includes the fluctuation in temperatures (air densities) we have this fall season.

Do you know if your ATV will start easier if you pull the choke lever out one notch (even in warm weather)? If so, maybe you are too lean.
Hey, thanks for replying, and thanks to everyone elses comments. You make perfect sence, but it doesnt apply to my case ( i dont think). I am actually getting way too much gas on starting. My spark plug is just soaked, the intake boot (coming from the airbox) has gas in it, and when I do get it close to starting, I actually have flame come out the exhaust!!
Warm starts are just fine, 4-5 turn overs, and it lites up. Cold starts, it takes about 80 turnovers to lite up!! I am running a 48 pilot (45 was to lean) a 175 main, (172 was to lean), and the stock needle on the 5th pos. I am however waiting on my 450 meedle still and will be running that on the 4th pos.
What I have started doing is going down on the starter jet. The stock is 90, I am down to an 80, and I am going to go down to a 72 (which is the stocker for the yz dirtbike). I thought that was interesting in itself. I also checked the wr and it only has a 65 starter jet.
So, I think i am going in the right direction. I need to get the fuel down upon starting, cause there is WAY too much. Is there anything else I should be looking at to less 'n the fuel at starting? Thanks

Old 11-25-2003, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer

If you're winding up with a lot of excess fuel, I suggest you verify the float height. If you happen to have bumped the floats you may have disturbed the calibration during rejetting.

Old 11-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Are you pumping the throttle while you start it?

Old 12-02-2003, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

Is it better to get the Yz cam for both intake and exhaust or just exhaust?

Old 12-02-2003, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ShadyRascal
Are you pumping the throttle while you start it?
With out insulting intelligence this is a BIG thing to make sure your not doing. If your a prior two stroker its a bad habit on a four stroke. Also I know you said you don't believe that its the pilot, but that is one of the biggest circuits thats feeding fuel when starting your motor. Did it start poorly before you richened the pilot? The float level is also a VERY realistic possiblity...

Old 12-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds like you are running rich. How is your air mixture screw? I got the zip tye from alba and its nice to be able to ajust it while its running. I am 2 3/4 turns out with 168 main 45 pilot full GYT-R system stock air filter no lid, GYT-R needle clip #5. I am about spot on at sea level. I plan jumping up to a 170 main or 172.5 main after the YZ cam. I am also going with the K&N air filter set up.

Next week I should have the YZ cam in! I will report any problems.

I also do not want any starting issues and decided to go with the YZ cam instead.

Best of luck!!!

Old 12-02-2003, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

This may be out of line but did you check for valve clearence after changing the cam? The reason I ask is that if the valves are too tight it will cause you all sorts of cold starting problems when my Pred was too tight it would start after it was warmed up but getting it started for the first time was a ****. Most of the time I had to tow start it I am not real sure about the Yami but it sounds just like my Pred until I adjusted the valves. You have it down that far anyway give it a check. Good luck.

Old 12-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

By the way it got progressivly worse with mine until it just would not start any more and it had no compression because the valves were hanging open.