Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

kodiak,bruins tongue weight?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 01:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kodiak,bruins tongue weight?

Hi, I was going through my bruins manual and the towing weight of pulling trailers was 1102 lbs. The tongue weight was only 33lbs. The kodiak and bruin has the same 1102 lbs for pulling, so I guess the tongue weight would be the same. 33lbs seems awful light. I had a trailboss and I think the tongue weight was like 80 lbs. How heavy of loads do you pull with your kodiaks and bruins? or should I say tongue weights. Thanks for all replies in advance.
NUBBIN

Old 11-28-2003, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I pull anything from a modified yard cart to a 6'x10' single axle trailer. Pulling usually is not the problem with the larger trailer, it is the stopping on uneven terrain. Simple physics will tell you the brakes and weight of the Kodiak will not do a good job of braking down hill, especially on wet grass. Just be careful.
I modified my yard cart by welding a piece of square tubing (20"- 22") to the arm that extends the hitch. I welded an O-ring on the tubing that replaced the factory pin style hook-up. I use a D-ring or clevis hook to connect this to the hitch on the Kodiak. This is very useful because the cart will not touch the rear tires in tight turns. Also with the D-ring hookup I can go through ditches that put the Kodiak and cart at steep angles toward each other and the cart will not touch the rear racks. Again, due to the fact that the hitch is tucked underneath the Kodiak you will have to extend the arm of the trailer and use a D-ring for the attachment. I will take pictures if anyone wants to see what I am talking about or if I did not explain it well enough.
I McGuyvered another way to use an extended hitch that you can use a 2" ball for the larger trailer. As you know the factory hitch is pretty weak and not very stout. I used an extended Rease hitch with a 2" ball on it. I drilled 2 holes in it and bolted it to the Kodiaks hitch. I then used a piece of all-thread that bolts to the rear rack and the other end bolts to the extened Rease hitch. This allows you to use the weight capacity of the rear rack along with the hitch capacity. This works just fine around the yard, but if this does not work then you should be using your truck. Again, if anyone wants pictures I will be glad to post them.

Old 11-29-2003, 12:23 PM
Range Rover

MaGuyer thanks,
The reason I asked this question is in the summer up at the lake we pull boats and trailers around and even a popup trailer camper. With the trailboss I had no problem. It tongue weight was a lot higher then the bruins. Do you think I can do it with the bruin? or should I forget about it?
NUBBIN

Old 12-01-2003, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

You should be fine, but put the weight on it gradually and keep an eye on it. Just be careful and use common sense when trying this.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Do ya think anyone got close enough to weigh their tongues and lived[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Just kidding pal. It would be something to be concerned with. We were hauling some lumber once and overloaded the trailer. We were going down this not very steep hill when the weight of the trailer picked the rear end of the quad up and jackknifed it in to a large ditch. Was kinda funny once we got stopped, but it could have been a bad accident.