Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2004 Grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Grizzly

Thanks guys for all the grizzly hands up. Been lookin at all the big bores and very confuses on choice. Looks like its gonna be a Grizzly. I have a few questions if someone has time to reply. How hard are the oil filters to get too? How many miles between valve adjustment? And the BIGGIE QUESTION???? Can my old lady pull the 600# Kubota mower out the ditch without killin herself when I.m not around? By the way shes all excited about the automatic. We have a 97 400 Foreman 4x4 now.

Old 11-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2004 Grizzly

the grizzly, nice quad.
first off, the valves. the grizzly needs them adjusted quite often. i would surly do it more than the stated time. i do mine every 20 to 30 hours of riding, and the 3 intake are ALWAYS tight.
the oil filters are easy, if you have the cup end that slides over it. attach that to a ratchet, and she comes right off. it does spill oil all over the engine( a bad design in my opinion) but not too bad to replace.
as for the question about your wife. if i am understanding, you want to know if she can get it out of a mess she might get into? if thats your question, i'll just reply by saying, the warn wench is a nice option, lol. by the way, you will need the wench too, lol. if you get the griz stuck, no mortal human can get it out without mechanical equitpment, couse you went where no man should ever go, lmao!!!

Old 12-01-2003, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default 2004 Grizzly

I had mine checked at 40hrs and they needed adjusting. I plan on taking mine in every 40 for that reason.

I didn't have a wrench for my first oil change, so I ended up poking a screwdriver thru the filter to get it off. Get one of those rubber grip wrench things, they work GREAT! The cup end ratchet thingy is good too, can be had a wal mart.

My wife rides the Grizzly, it's her bike. I have no worries when she is on it.

Old 01-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2004 Grizzly

I just stumbled across this site, and your post about valve adjustments.
If your dealer really did say "if it runs ok don't worry about it" you should never go back to him for any service.
Valves are really not always "adjusted" when you take it in for that. You need to actually measure the clearance between the valve and rocker arm. When the engine is cold, the clearance is larger than when the engine is running "hot" during operation. If the valves wear themselves into the cylinder head (and the do) the clearance will be too small and the rocker will actually keep the valve from closing all the way. The extremely hot exhaust gasses pass over the valve and seat causing it to burn and errode.
The tighter the clearance, the worse it eats away your engine at the valve set. It also causes loss of compression which creates another bag of problems such as hard starting when cold, etc....
Bottom line...you need to have them checked about every 75 hours of running on most utility ATVs and 5- hrs on high performance engines like the YZF250 0r 450 motocross bikes. If the valve clearance is too tight the technician can catch it before damage is done. If they are always off by more than one or two thousands, it would indicate excessive wear of the valvetrain or someone did not tighten the locknut enough. Dirty oil and dirty airfilters cause this wear to occur. Its very, very expensive to replace these parts so do not skip maintenance. Cold starts and cold climates make things worse. I ran our service dept for over 10 years so if you have further questions let me know.